Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Your point is well taken and solid. But price and perception are intertwined, always have and always will be. Apple opened up Pandora's Box when they went about $1000 for an iPhone.

Whatever happens, will be of their own doing. Good or bad, I have no sympathy as they have none for my wallet. So yes, of course everyone is being SUPER CRITICAL of the soon to be released 2019 iPhone, and they have every right to.
Exactly once they went four digits, it put some hard brakes on our upgrading. And it's not only the exact price; it's how quickly it started increasing over the years.

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
If you upgrade every year, you’re going to buy the 2019 iphone. Anyone who is looking to buy a phone to use for 3-4 years (like a lot of people have done with their 6s) would be much better served to buy a cheap phone to hold them over until 2020 when 5G is here, well as some huge improvements. I am not exactly thrilled with using my 8+ another year, but at this point it doesn’t make sense to buy the new xr and then have to sell it a year later for the huge leap the following year. The same thing is happening on Android. The one plus 7 pro is probably the best phone out right now, but I didn’t pick one up because it’s not 5G compatible. 2019 is a year to forget.
I don’t get it. It’s not like people who buy new iPhones every three years will buy that new iPhone all at once. Every new iPhone should be breathtaking and full of new features for the price they’re offering. No wonder Samsung and Xiaomi eat apple’s lunch in Europe. Apple tanked double digits in Europe and it’s no wonder why.
The iPhone XR is even more expensive than the Galaxy s10. Specs from the iPhone XR are similar from a low cost android these days. Don’t know on what planet the executives from Apple live these days. But they got lost track of reality since 2012. It has become a bean counting slowly evolving greedy company.

Reactions: Breezygirl

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
We have not had a “relevant” year in a while.

New technology never comes as quickly as we would like it.
Well, others have similar and superamoled for years. Better cameras and more memory. It’s like the 90s when you had a Mac. You almost feel sorry for them. It’s time Apple fights back and take back some much needed market share. Focus on their products or leave the market.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
But that time it really made a difference - remember how in 2012 we were beginning to have Instagram, Spotify, Netflix and the like on our phones? The jump from 5-7 mbps on the 4S’ “4G” to the constant 30+ on LTE really made a difference.

Would you really be stunned by a jump from 180mbps to 300 in 2019?

Real-world 5G speeds are 5x current LTE speeds. This means being able to view 4K content even in low signal conditions. It means being able to use cloud storage as seamlessly as local storage.

It matters for the people who want a leading edge experience.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Real-world 5G speeds are 5x current LTE speeds. This means being able to view 4K content even in low signal conditions. It means being able to use cloud storage as seamlessly as local storage.

It matters for the people who want a leading edge experience.

Is there any actual benefit to 4K content on a mobile phone?

cinnabun814

Suspended
Apr 2, 2018
I upgraded every year going back to the 4S. I’m so sick of buying a phone every year I’m seriously going to keep my XS Max for another 3-4 years. I couldn’t care less about 5G. I have a blazing fast processor and a 6.5” screen on an iPhone. As a matter of fact I think I’m going to leave Verizon for their subsidiary carrier Visible for $40 bucks a month. I’ve about had it with the prices.

Reactions: mmomega

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
4K, RAM memory, 5G. Mention these 3 things in an average shopping street to any stranger passing by and he/she will look at you as if you are from another planet ;)

The majority of the people just want a smartphone wich makes good (social media) photos and share them, do some webbrowsing, check email, watch/read the news and keep contact with family/friends.

The majority of the people will laugh at 4 digit (€/$) smartphones (Apple/Samsung) and again will look at you as if you have been smoking something which we have widely available in my home country :D

Here at macrumors we want a 4K smartphone, with 5G and 16Gb of RAM, 1 Tb of storage and 4x 118MP cameras and 234x zoom......with iOS :p

Reactions: timeconsumer

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well, others have similar and superamoled for years. Better cameras and more memory. It’s like the 90s when you had a Mac. You almost feel sorry for them. It’s time Apple fights back and take back some much needed market share. Focus on their products or leave the market.

I think the bolded in your post is quite dated, hasn't Apple been focusing on their products? I think they have. Aside from the iPhone, The Mac/Mac Pro, Mac mini, AirPods, Apple Watch, HomePod, are all products Apple has revamped/introduced. Where Apples focus has really been tweaked is the growth in services, and that’s equally to me as important as something like the iPhone or even the rest of the product line. I don’t think it’s all about their products, as there are other crucial parts to their growth in general as a company.

Last edited:

myapple2019

Suspended
May 10, 2019
4K, RAM memory, 5G. Mention these 3 things in an average shopping street to any stranger passing by and he/she will look at you as if you are from another planet ;)

The majority of the people just want a smartphone wich makes good (social media) photos and share them, do some webbrowsing, check email, watch/read the news and keep contact with family/friends.

The majority of the people will laugh at 4 digit (€/$) smartphones (Apple/Samsung) and again will look at you as if you have been smoking something which we have widely available in my home country :D

Here at macrumors we want a 4K smartphone, with 5G and 16Gb of RAM, 1 Tb of storage and 4x 118MP cameras and 234x zoom......with iOS :p
The reason of all these is in general, we in MacRumors, are technology enthusiasts, admitting it or not.:)

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Over half the TVs shipped last year were 4K. Most surveys indicate 5G awareness is high (about 50%).

Unless you're in sub-Saharan Africa or living in a geriatric facility, most people are familiar with the terms. Whether they are willing to pay for it is another question.

Many consumers still have issues with connectivity and 4G coverage. While some see 5G as another "speed bump" most are excited about its arrival.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I get that this years iPhone wont be great but here is how I look at: I'm already paying like 30$ for my phone on a 24 month payment plan. So if I keep my phone I will continue to pay for it and at the end of next year it will be paid off. So at the end of that year I will get the new iPhone and just continue to pay the 30$. So.. the way my mind works is why not go ahead and get the new iPhone this year because I'm already going to be paying the 30$ anyhow and going to get the 2020 iPhone when it comes out. I don't ever own a phone I just lease them really. The only catch is the down payment I would probably have to pay like 300$ to get the new 2019 model. Thinking about it I guess I could sell my Max in 2020 and maybe make a few dollars and get the new iPhone.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
Agreed, and if anyone can do it, it's Apple. So we wait with bated breath to see if they have any semblance of an empathetic pulse towards the market.
But it aint rocket science, samsung cracked it few years ago, just look on note10 buyback program

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Yes, better colors because of chroma subsampling. 4K content always looks better than native 1080P.

This has nothing to do with the display resolution though, but rather with the camera sensor and how you sample it into the final resolution. By the time you watch a movie on your phone, you wont see the difference between a 1080p and 4K movie anymore (unless you hold your phone right into your face), if whoever processed and exported it did his job right...

With all the horrendous codecs out there — im looking at you YouTube — most people don’t know anyways what 1080p is capable of. The stuff you see online in 4K looks for the most part worse than a properly produced 720p movie...

leoshaun

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2019
How can this be the most irrelevant year when 2018 X to the XS, the changes were very poor. 2019 camera will be great

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don’t get it. It’s not like people who buy new iPhones every three years will buy that new iPhone all at once. Every new iPhone should be breathtaking and full of new features for the price they’re offering. No wonder Samsung and Xiaomi eat apple’s lunch in Europe. Apple tanked double digits in Europe and it’s no wonder why.
The iPhone XR is even more expensive than the Galaxy s10. Specs from the iPhone XR are similar from a low cost android these days. Don’t know on what planet the executives from Apple live these days. But they got lost track of reality since 2012. It has become a bean counting slowly evolving greedy company.

Well the XR sold well so users must like it

In the UK the XR was the best selling smartphone even with phones like S10 around...says people still prefer their iPhones

Reactions: Wide opeN

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
We have not had a “relevant” year in a while.

New technology never comes as quickly as we would like it.

Maybe 2017?
[doublepost=1565790819][/doublepost]
How can this be the most irrelevant year when 2018 X to the XS, the changes were very poor. 2019 camera will be great

Yeah so dudebros can take pictures of bongs and whatnot that nobody needs to ever see.

They should be getting rid of the notch this year

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The 2018 XS offered two features that many users on here seem to completely ignore and/or don’t understand, smart HDR on the camera and 60 FPS with the A12 processor for gaming. Those are two fairly major improvements, depending on the demographic using the phone.

Either way, Apple doesn’t usually revamp their phone entirely on an annual basis, it’s more like every_other_ year. The triple lens camera I agree will be a huge change coming, but obviously 2020 will bring a slew of new changes.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Rumours of a night sight mode coming on the 2019 iPhones...and said to be an improvement from even the pixel and P20 pro...if so that alone is worth the upgrade for me.

GloriousAndrew

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2017
Rumours of a night sight mode coming on the 2019 iPhones...and said to be an improvement from even the pixel and P20 pro...if so that alone is worth the upgrade for me.

This is what I am really hoping for. If Apple can best the Pixel's absurdly good night mode, I will be pumped. I have a newborn and I want to be able to take good pictures of her in all lighting.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I can see 2021 as the big revolution of the iPhone. 5G will become more mature, most likely we see USB-C as the connector. iOS will get to a point where the hardware is mature enough to really push the software to new heights.

Reactions: Breezygirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.