Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What will the next 16-inch MacBook Pro have for Processors and Graphics and when will it launch?

• 10th Gen Intel H-series Processors and newer AMD graphics than we have currently launching in 2020

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Apple A14-based Mac-specific SoC launching in 2020

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Apple Mac-specific SoC launching in 2H 2021 (with no new 16-inch MacBook Pro releases until then)

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
With rumors and leaks (and even recent Mac releases such as the 2020 27" iMac) giving us an idea as to when all other Macs (aside from maybe the Mac mini) will next get refreshed, there's one (again, aside from the Mac mini) that I'm not as sure about and that's the 16-inch MacBook Pro.

I've heard rumor and chatter (and even perpetuated some of it myself) that the 16-inch MacBook Pro will make the move to Apple Silicon in the second half of 2021. My thought was that Apple Silicon wasn't yet ready to beat out the higher-end 9th Gen Intel H-series 8-core Core i9, and while that may be true of the A12Z and A12X, it may not be true of whatever family of Mac-specific SoCs are inbound. A point I, myself, am guilty of arguing against (as Apple may still not deem themselves ready to replace Intel on that particular Mac just yet).

I've also heard chatter that there is one more Intel release of 16-inch MacBook Pro left in the pipeline, complete with 10th Gen H-series processors (despite it not being that huge of a performance bump from 9th Gen as far as H-series processors are concerned) and maybe updated AMD graphics in tow. In fact, I'm surprised to see those rumors being recognized on sites like TechRadar and not MacRumors, 9to5, or AppleInsider (TechRadar: MacBook Pro 16-inch refresh may not be the Mac on Apple silicon we’re waiting for). Such a release would have to be imminent as Apple very likely not be releasing Intel Macs alongside Apple Silicon Macs, no? Admittedly, I'm basing that entirely off of the fact that they didn't do that during the PowerPC-to-Intel transition. They could (and probably should) release another Intel Mac Pro before the transition and it may be too soon to do that currently.

So, given this, what do you guys think will happen for the next release of 16-inch MacBook Pro? Are we getting one in 2020? If so, will it be Intel-based? What say you?

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Even if 16 gets one last intel update, I don’t think folks r willing to get it given the skepticism already on the current 16, apple doesn’t update for the sake of updating, they have no problem not giving annual update on some of their line up, take example: Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro, iPhone se.

Reactions: bomby0

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Even if 16 gets one last intel update, I don’t think folks r willing to get it given the skepticism already on the current 16, apple doesn’t update for the sake of updating, they have no problem not giving annual update on some of their line up, take example: Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro, iPhone se.

Right, but your logic is negated by the fact that Apple JUST updated the 27" iMac. Apple could've just as easily left that one alone as well. The iMac has frequently gone two years without updates (as has been evidenced by the lack of iMac updates in 2016 and 2018). Apple hasn't left its flagship Mac notebook (15-inch/16-inch MacBook Pros) out of updates for much over a year pretty much ever.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Hoping 32gb of ram becomes standard on the high-end stock config, like how the 2013 and 2015 15" had 16gb stock on the higher end.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Right, but your logic is negated by the fact that Apple JUST updated the 27" iMac. Apple could've just as easily left that one alone as well. The iMac has frequently gone two years without updates (as has been evidenced by the lack of iMac updates in 2016 and 2018). Apple hasn't left its flagship Mac notebook (15-inch/16-inch MacBook Pros) out of updates for much over a year pretty much ever.
if i said all then it would be negated, i said most, if you negate most, you get some. if i'm gonna get a 16inch i would wait for apple silicon if i have no use for any vm or window related tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.