Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I saw that this model I have is on sale at BB. I really love this rig. I go back and forth for different things between it and my 12.9 iPad Pro, and the G14's screen size doesn't seem like a limitation at all.

Reactions: ctjack and kazmac

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Shame the $1200 eclipse gray model is not on sale. Glad you’re enjoying your G14, @Namara.
Yes, the eclipse gray was nice, but I have to say it's also refreshing to break out of aluminum/gray/black. The lower end $1099 G14 is on sale too, which I imagine you've seen. I tried that one for about a week over the summer, and it was an outstanding machine. I returned it because I wanted more power and storage and was trying out other brands too.

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Yes, the eclipse gray was nice, but I have to say it's also refreshing to break out of aluminum/gray/black. The lower end $1099 G14 is on sale too, which I imagine you've seen. I tried that one for about a week over the summer, and it was an outstanding machine. I returned it because I wanted more power and storage and was trying out other brands too.
If the keys were more legible (especially with backlight), I would try the white variant (I need backlight). I like the G14 otherwise.

Yes, I saw the cheaper eclipse Gray model is also on sale. Think the sale price is a good one for those specs, like yourself though, I want more horsepower.

I will keep an eye on the G14 Zephyrus. I like the idea a lot, and am glad to see people enjoy the laptop. I would love a version that has some of the Acrnym concepts and specs for less. Beyond the backlighting, the main hesitation is Windows 10. Having a rough experience at this current job, and would rather not try again at the moment.

Reactions: 0128672

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
Bought the white version. The grey version was tempting as well but the lower brightness display killed it.

Reactions: kazmac

alexCa

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2020
I found this in Amazon;

24gb and 1tb, it seems a good price. What do you guys think?
The only think I dont like is the vendor. How do warranties work in Amazon?

Reactions: GalileoSeven

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I found this in Amazon;

24gb and 1tb, it seems a good price. What do you guys think?
The only think I dont like is the vendor. How do warranties work in Amazon?
The seller is Happy Ranger whose rating is only 82%. You can review all of its policies including--and this is important--the return policy. I believe for any Asus machine not purchased through Best Buy that you can buy a protection plan directly from Asus. Asus has an agreement with BB that those purchases' extended plans can only be bought through BB. Once you're registered with Asus, you'll get regular email reminders about purchasing a plan. I get them even though I bought my G14 from BB.

Other than that, I think it's an OK price for this Ryzen 7 version, but the graphics card is a little lower spec than some of the other G14 within price range models. If I was in the market for one, I wouldn't go for this deal because of the seller's rep, Amazon's return policies, and the machine specs. And I wouldn't be swayed by 24GB RAM since it's so easy to upgrade.

Last edited:

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
The seller is Happy Ranger whose rating is only 82%. You can review all of its policies including--and this is important--the return policy. I believe for any Asus machine not purchased through Best Buy that you can buy a protection plan directly from Asus. Asus has an agreement with BB that those purchases' extended plans can only be bought through BB. Once you're registered with Asus, you'll get regular email reminders about purchasing a plan. I get them even though I bought my G14 from BB.

Other than that, I think it's an OK price for this Ryzen 7 version, but the graphics card is a little lower spec than some of the other G14 within price range models. If I was in the market for one, I wouldn't go for this deal because of the seller's rep, Amazon's return policies, and the machine specs. And I wouldn't be swayed by 24GB RAM since it's so easy to upgrade.
@alexCa You’re better off buying this $1299 model from Best Buy for all the reasons @Namara mentioned.

Good luck and enjoy it, if you buy it.

@lixuelai wow, the Gray version has a dimmer display? ? Thanks for mentioning.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I just grabbed a G14 16/1TB 2060 MaxQ from the BB sale. Amazing gaming machine. I got mine open box Excellent for 1099. The R9 is absurd fast and the every game I have screams on the 120HZ display. Really wanted a machine for Flight Sim in my Game Pass. Did not disappoint. I put a 2TB Rocket Q in it. Because 1 TB is way too small for a decent game library.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm on a business trip, started playing Cyberpunk on Blade Stealth, low settings, a little laggy but playable, went to Best Buy to pick up ethernet cable because the one in the hotel was busted (whenever they have it I will use it instead of WiFi), saw the g14 on sale for $1200 and bought on a whim. Picked up iFixit set also to move the SSD since TSA confiscated my last one.

Damn, I did not know what I was missing, this is almost unbelievable. Cyberpunk on ultra on 14 inch laptop, that's ... unexpected. Cinebench R20 scores like 4400 without even trying while I was bold and proud getting 3100 on 15 inch Blade running at almost 60W CPU package power. It is unreal.

Keyboard backlight is bad, like really bad, and no Thunderbolt, but I got into the whole pandemic toilet paper like hunt for Ampere and Zen3 and ended up with two new desktop builds which blow my eGPU setup by a lot, by so much that I won't be using eGPU anymore anyway.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I'm on a business trip, started playing Cyberpunk on Blade Stealth, low settings, a little laggy but playable, went to Best Buy to pick up ethernet cable because the one in the hotel was busted (whenever they have it I will use it instead of WiFi), saw the g14 on sale for $1200 and bought on a whim. Picked up iFixit set also to move the SSD since TSA confiscated my last one.

Damn, I did not know what I was missing, this is almost unbelievable. Cyberpunk on ultra on 14 inch laptop, that's ... unexpected. Cinebench R20 scores like 4400 without even trying while I was bold and proud getting 3100 on 15 inch Blade running at almost 60W CPU package power. It is unreal.

Keyboard backlight is bad, like really bad, and no Thunderbolt, but I got into the whole pandemic toilet paper like hunt for Ampere and Zen3 and ended up with two new desktop builds which blow my eGPU setup by a lot, by so much that I won't be using eGPU anymore anyway.
Yes, it's a fabulous machine. I have the 16GB/1TB version and bought it for gaming, but found many games give me motion sickness issues, so I've been just using it for work. Lately I've been having fun running Big Sur in a VM on it just for the fun of it. The backlight doesn't bother me at all, and the two USB-c and USB-a ports are just what I needed. Initially I thought the 16:9 display would be a problem but after the first week, I hardly thought about it. I also love the feel of the keyboard.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
which blow my eGPU setup by a lot
For the most part I've been very happy with my egu and while it doesn't have the fastest GPU, it held its own against my discrete GPU, up until CP77 hit the streets. For what ever reason, I can play CP77 with ray tracing on (which turns a lot of the other features to ultra) and be playable on my Razer's RTX2070 (non-super), where as my egpu is rocking a RTX 2060 which stat wise was shown to have near RTX 2070 speeds. I couldn't have ray tracing on and I needed to back down the settings to medium (with just some high).

The downside is fan noise, though hwinfo is not showing huge heat spikes, the fans are aggressive.

Thysanoptera

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
The downside is fan noise, though hwinfo is not showing huge heat spikes, the fans are aggressive.
If you can, get one of the FE Ampere cards (3060Ti would make most sense), undervolt the crap out of it, maybe even reduce max clock by 100-200 MHz, flip the Core X fan so that it acts as exhaust. I've put 3080FE like that and it is dead silent, I mean you can't hear a thing at full load. The back fan blows directly on exhaust, the front fan just expels air from through the bracket, this fan arrangement Nvidia did is like custom made for Core X.

I also have Corsair PSU that keeps the fan off below 300W. But it is a waste. I noticed being CPU limited in newer titles. Like the last Tomb Rider, its benchmark has this "GPU bound" indicator. With Stealth + 3080 it was at 5%. In synthetic bechmarks it is not that far off from desktop results, but in new games that 3080 would barely exceed 2060 in my bigger laptop. I noticed rapid performance increase drop off around 1080Ti/2070 range, so 3080 was just overkill. But dead silent.

Reactions: maflynn

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Ordered last year’s funky Acrnym model (on sale) because the user reviews on the new 15” 3070 models are iffy (more display and port issues). I need a gray model for better backlit keyboard etc. Do not game, but the QHD screen and double the ram for this sale price are fine compared to a similar model (anime matrix model) at BB.

This should be very good for school (Google IT help desk certificate etc.) and getting acclimated to W10 (and hopefully Affinity publisher at some point). Wish I would have just ordered this instead of the M1 MBP in December, but lesson learned.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.