Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Oski2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Does anyone have any information on real world performance differences with the new Wifi6, advanced thermal architecture update, details on the tuned performance controllers of the Ipad Pro 2020? Why do all the posts online simply reiterate what’s on the Apple website? If anyone has any real information, PLEASE reply. Thank you!

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I just posted something like this. Reviewers are basically regurgitating the apple website’s information.

Reactions: Oski2020

Oski2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Hey, I commented on your post. It was merged to the "bend" thread so I posted my own so people would focus on the thermal architecture, performance controllers and wifi6.

Oski2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
I just got my 2020 12.9" iPad Pro. I quickly did a comparison to my 2018 iPad Pro 11" and observed the following:
1. The speakers clearly sound better (not as tinny, fuller).
2. The wifi is faster (not by a lot. I have slow internet speed but by 10mbps compared to my 11" 2018)
3. The screen also seems richer in color, more responsive (not significantly but observable)

I'm comparing a 12.9" to an 11" so you have to take these differences with a grain of salt. But, at least for me. There are realy world noticeable differences.

Reactions: BeatCrazy

Oski2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Oh lol yah

Just an update 1rottenapple. This video shows that the 2020 model still bends. That's unfortunate...
[automerge]1585183902[/automerge]

Oski2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
Under normal usage?

no, he just used his hands but many people had issues with bending on their 2018 iPad Pros. Many also did not experience any issues. I'm hoping someone will test the aluminum scientifically to see if there is any difference in the density of the aluminum. I want to keep mine but not at the risk of it not lasting me 5 years. $1,200 is a lot of money for me.

Reactions: Cape Dave

Oski2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
no, he just used his hands but many people had issues with bending on their 2018 iPad Pros. Many also did not experience any issues. I'm hoping someone will test the aluminum scientifically to see if there is any difference in the density of the aluminum. I want to keep mine but not at the risk of it not lasting me 5 years. $1,200 is a lot of money for me.

check this out:
[automerge]1585195087[/automerge]
I have no doubt that iFixit will not do the same.

check this out:
[automerge]1585195134[/automerge]
I just posted something like this. Reviewers are basically regurgitating the apple website’s information.

check this out:

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
So you're saying if I take a long flat slab of aluminum hollowed out to fit electronics into it along with a layer of thin glass, and apply pressure in the middle while holding it's sides, it will bend? Apple hasn't yet found a way around the laws of physics yet? Does anybody have any intention of using their iPad Pro like that?

Oski2020

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2020
So you're saying if I take a long flat slab of aluminum hollowed out to fit electronics into it along with a layer of thin glass, and apply pressure in the middle while holding it's sides, it will bend? Apple hasn't yet found a way around the laws of physics yet? Does anybody have any intention of using their iPad Pro like that?

the problem is that people have been getting them bent new out of the box. So putting an iPad in a backpack (especially for students) is a concern. Some have even bent with normal use. This is just an extreme example of the issue.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I just got my 2020 12.9" iPad Pro. I quickly did a comparison to my 2018 iPad Pro 11" and observed the following:
1. The speakers clearly sound better (not as tinny, fuller).
2. The wifi is faster (not by a lot. I have slow internet speed but by 10mbps compared to my 11" 2018)
3. The screen also seems richer in color, more responsive (not significantly but observable)

I'm comparing a 12.9" to an 11" so you have to take these differences with a grain of salt. But, at least for me. There are realy world noticeable differences.
The speakers difference is normal... The 12.9 has always sounded better than the pro 9.7, 10.5 and 11. I have both the 9.7 and the 10.5 and have had the 11 to compare with too and they are all very similar, actually 9.7 and 10.5 are identical and 11 is slightly different (IMO the bass is a bit worse, but that's really a small difference)

Reactions: Oski2020

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
the problem is that people have been getting them bent new out of the box. So putting an iPad in a backpack (especially for students) is a concern. Some have even bent with normal use. This is just an extreme example of the issue.

This isn't an extreme example of someone using it in everyday life and over time, a warp occurs, this is someone intentionally taking their iPad and bending it.

I just believe in taking extra care with products like this. I put mine in my bag all the time, I make sure it's not leaning up against something that could potentially bend or break it. I have a sleeve case and the keyboard folio for extra protection. I understand this legitimately happens to some people over time, and its a bummer....but if you take it out a lot Applecare+ is your friend and can save you a lot of money in the long haul.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.