2020 Redesign MBP with needed T2 Chip.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
If the current MBP with the new Vega 20 GPU are found to throttle due to heat I’ll have to wait for the 2020 MBP Redesign. So what can we safely expect.

#1. New T2 or T3 custom Chip. I am more and more leaning to increase my security and won’t buy a device without a T2 Chip period. https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/08/08/everything-you-need-to-know-about-apples-t2-chip-in-the-2018-macbook-pro
#2. Intel 10nm 8 Core CPU finally because they won’t be ready in time for 2019 and Apple release calendar.
#3. LPDDR4 RAM 3200Mhz a worthy jump from 2400Hz today.
#4. Improved Butterfly 2 keyboard with RGB.
#5. Brighter cleaner TouchBar ID with Taptic FeedBack.
#6. FaceID or Touch ID.
#7. 120Hz ProMotion Retina Display If the iPad Pros have it why can’t the $3,000 laptops have it too ?
#8. Quad Speakers
#9. Redesigned battery from LG for use in MBP.
https://www.firstpost.com/tech/news-analysis/apple-is-sourcing-higher-capacity-single-cell-l-shaped-batteries-from-lg-report-4322487.html
#10. New GPU After the current VEGA 20 Bombshell I cant even speculate on a new GPU I’d be so furious If had bought a MBP in 2018 without VEGA 20. Anyways. Most likely a 5nm VEGA 30 with 8GB HBM2 RAM and RTX 2080 Levels of performance.

Have I looked over or missed anything ?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
#1. New T2 or T3 custom Chip. I am more and more leaning to increase my security and won’t buy a device without a T2 Chip period. https://appleinsider.com/articles/1...-about-apples-t2-chip-in-the-2018-macbook-pro
Well, it seems apple isn't going to remove the T2, quite the opposite they're going all in on it.

#2. Intel 10nm 8 Core CPU finally because they won’t be ready in time for 2019 and Apple release calendar.
#3. LPDDR4 RAM 3200Mhz a worthy jump from 2400Hz today.
What do these improvments do for you? Why do you need 10nm and LPDDR4 ram running at 3200Mhz? I know faster processing, but what do you do that requires that?

#4. Improved Butterfly 2 keyboard with RGB.
I don't think we'll ever see RGB, that's in a realm for gamers.

Apple has failed to improve TB, or roll it out in any other model. Its a a failed niche gimmick. I doubt we'll see anything but its removal.

#6. FaceID or Touch ID.
Will we need a T2 chip if Apple went with FaceID?

#7. 120Hz ProMotion Retina Display If the iPad Pros have it why can’t the $3,000 laptops have it too ?
Indeed, people with 120Hz displays love them.

poorcody

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2013
#1. New T2 or T3 custom Chip. I am more and more leaning to increase my security and won’t buy a device without a T2 Chip period. https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/08/08/everything-you-need-to-know-about-apples-t2-chip-in-the-2018-macbook-pro
The reports are by 2020 we might be expecting to see an ARM processor replace Intel. I wonder if the MBP will be the first to get it though. If that happens, will they still have a separate "T" coprocessor, or they will just incorporate it into the main chip? A nice advantage of designing your own CPU...

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
The reports are by 2020 we might be expecting to see an ARM processor replace Intel. I wonder if the MBP will be the first to get it though. If that happens, will they still have a separate "T" coprocessor, or they will just incorporate it into the main chip? A nice advantage of designing your own CPU...
Problem with that is, that most if not all Software the runs on Intel is x86 based that’s just not going to run on an ARM processor without Apple doing some trickery.
And I wouldn’t want to be the First generation device that made this leap. That would be one massive Beta test. I would get a second generation device of that kind. Just not the first ARM Chip to try and run x86 software.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2015
RGB keyboard? You’ve come to the wrong forum Mr...
I stand by my call. The default is White. No one can tell it’s just gives you options and would attract more millennials.
Also the keyboards are interactive. For example they can burst into colors if you set that if a Email comes in from a loved one grandma would love that I can see the color splash Apple ads now. Or you can set it to flash green for an instant once FaceID unlocks. Or Flash Red and Blue If a stolen MBP is reported.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68020
Dec 21, 2012
London
I stand by my call. The default is White. No one can tell it’s just gives you options and would attract more millennials.
Also the keyboards are interactive. For example they can burst into colors if you set that if a Email comes in from a loved one grandma would love that I can see the color splash Apple ads now. Or you can set it to flash green for an instant once FaceID unlocks. Or Flash Red and Blue If a stolen MBP is reported.
But me no like staring at the keyboard when I’m using laptop. It’s why I hate the TouchBar ;).

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Isn't the TB supposed to be retina/OLED? Seems like whenever I go to the store and look at them they look dim/hazy/pixelated, definitely not like something retina/OLED?

Could be the fact it's pointing straight at the ceiling and being washed out and I haven't exactly sat around trying to play with the brightness settings or anything, but it definitely looks like crap in the store whenever I go look. o_O