Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdHAT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2019
I took the plunge and pre ordered the new iMac this morning. I am pretty excited about.

But then I realized I need USB-A ports for my Audio Intreface, drum machine, and midi controller.

I didn’t really see any options to my taste on Amazon. And, I don’t know why they cost so much ($100+). I don’t really need an HDMI port, or additional USB 4 ports. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Are there any options that don’t cater to the laptop market avalible? Something that will look attractive on the desk? Maybe even rack mounted?

Last edited:
Reactions: isidore4000

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
IMG_7232.jpg

Shirohana

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2015
I took the plunge and pre ordered the new iMac this morning. I am pretty excited about.

But then I realized I need USB-A ports for my Audio Intreface, drum machine, and midi controller.

I didn’t really see any options to my taste on Amazon. And, I don’t know why they cost so much ($100+). I don’t really need an HDMI port, or additional USB 4 ports. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Are there any options that don’t cater to the laptop market avalible? Something that will look attractive on the desk? Maybe even rack mounted?
Just upgrade your cables to usb c. That’s what I’m doing for my audio interface and midi controller. Much cheaper and a lot less bother.

mdHAT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2019
Yes, I came to the same conclusion last night. I ordered several adaptors.

BrentT

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007

Amazon has a wide variety of USB-C hubs. Just look for one with the number and type of ports you want. I got one with 4 USB-A 3.0 ports but 2 SD card slots. That only only cost $15.

If you only need a few USB-A ports you can get little USB-C to USB-A adapters that is a clean, no dongle, way to go. Those were 2 for $8.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion is that you get a POWERED hub.

Also, be aware that some peripherals may not work properly unless "directly connected" to the Mac.
I'm thinking the audio interface could be one of these...

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
My suggestion is that you get a POWERED hub.

Also, be aware that some peripherals may not work properly unless "directly connected" to the Mac.
I'm thinking the audio interface could be one of these...
The Apple USB optical drive is one. ?

eneisch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
The Apple USB SuperDrive works fine on my Powered USB3 Orico Hub, no issues whatsover
Would you mind posting which model Orico Hub you own? Are you using a USB C cable to connect it to the Mac? or an USB C to USB A adapter?

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'm really hoping for one like this that connects to the USB C port on the back and gives me USB A on the front and or back.
Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 4.54.39 PM.png

Or something like this, considering how light the M1 iMac is, you could totally put it under the foot.
Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 4.56.16 PM.png

neilw

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
I'm really hoping for one like this that connects to the USB C port on the back and gives me USB A on the front and or back.
View attachment 1778993
Or something like this, considering how light the M1 iMac is, you could totally put it under the foot.
View attachment 1778994
I feel certain that someone will come out with stuff like that... unfortunately hard to know how long it'll take.

Reactions: macsound1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.