Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday Consumer Reports revealed that Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro became the first MacBook to fail to achieve a recommendation due to inconsistent battery life. Apple SVP Phil Schiller today tweeted that the Cupertino company is working with Consumer Reports to understand the battery tests.

macbookpromodelssideview-800x405.jpg

"Working with [Consumer Reports] to understand their battery tests, " Schiller tweeted. "Results do not match our extensive lab tests or field data." Apple claims its internal testing has seen the new MacBook Pro providing up to 10 hours of battery life when watching iTunes movies or browsing the web.

Consumer Reports' test has come under scrutiny since publication of the non-recommendation. The tests were conducted by opening a series of 10 web pages sequentially on Safari. This tests' inconsistency had the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar registering 16 hours, 12.75 hours and 3.75 hours of battery life. A 15-inch MacBook Pro ranged from 18.5 hours to 8 hours of battery life.

When Consumer Reports tried the test with Chrome rather than Safari, it found consistently high battery life. "For this exercise, we ran two trials on each of the laptops, and found battery life to be consistently high on all six runs," the report said. Consumer Reports did not think it was enough data to draw a conclusion, though they also point out their test results only take default browsers into consideration.

Critics, like iMore's Rene Ritchie, argue that inconsistent test results require more testing to ferret out whether the issue is easily fixable, like a Safari glitch. Consumer Reports noted in its report that if Apple issues a software update that it claims will fix battery life inconsistency, they will conduct fresh tests.

Article Link: Phil Schiller: Apple Working With Consumer Reports to Understand MacBook Pro Battery Test

Last edited:
Reactions: Noerdy

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I hope there is a software issue Apple can fix.

However, the Bloomberg piece from a few days ago says that Apple was planning on using a sculpted battery with a higher capacity as seen in the 12" MacBook, but had to revert to a traditional design due to some fault. I stand by my belief that this was a misatake, and Apple should have delayed the product rather than implementing a smaller than designed-for battery.

Even though the Mac is only 10 percent of Apples business, it is clear it is no longer getting the same amount of attention from Apple it has historically. Which is disappointing. Apple can hire the talent to dedicate to Mac if they want to.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
You mean, Apple is working with Consumer Reports to help them understand how they're using the machine wrong.

The problem isn't that Apple's power saving features don't work. They work exceptionally well, that's where 16 hours is coming from. The problem is that they work too well and the battery is undersized. The moment you load the machine down, the battery % begins to drop through the floor because the machine quite literally was not designed for that kind of use. The "time remaining" indicator only served to highlight just how fast the % was falling (since it's far more difficult for a user to gauge the remaining time left based solely on a plummeting number), which is why they got rid of it. Apple wanted snazzy specs in a thin package, and this is the end result.

If they'd built the laptop properly with sufficient battery capacity, we'd be seeing a laptop that lasts 20-30 hours (!) under light use, and 7-8 hours under heavy use. Then I don't think anyone would be complaining. ~4 hours, however, isn't much, and is pretty inexcusable for what is being sold as a premium device.

No matter how much damage control they engage in, and no matter what they say about these devices or the users, it doesn't change the fact that the design is fundamentally flawed and Apple cannot change the laws of physics.

-SC

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Really sick of the growing substandard quality control and crap support from Apple. (God forbid you ever need to call AppleCare in Europe (Germany precisely). Bunches of non-native speakers who have zero idea about anything take your call and monkey around for an hour). I distinctly remember it started from the iOS 7 days. I have been a fanboy for 8 years but it's just ridiculous nowadays to try and defend the company under Tim Cook's pathetic leadership. This madness of thinner and lighter at the cost of performance charging exorbitant prices really needs to stop. I don't demand ground breaking innovation every 3 years. Just make quality products and fix the damn bugs FFS it's not that hard!

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
I would trust users feedback of poor battery performance

I've owned the base model nTB 13" for about a month now and can tell you I almost consistently get 10+ hours per charge.

But people choose to believe the horror stories over the countless others who have no issues at all. People are aching to make this a huge scandal, just like antenna-gate. Apple has slowly cultivated the most ocd/fanatic/dramatic user base of any company I can think of, and the new MBP launch has showcased it at its ripest. Sad to see so many are disappointed. My experience with this new machine has been nothing short of excellent. But even though you say you trust users' feedback, it seems you (and many others) trust those who have negative experiences more than those who have positive ones.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Interesting that he didn't say CR is just wrong. An indication that there really is an issue, though with what we don't yet know.

It would be good to see Apple put more focus on the Mac platform and ecosystem.

No, you're just use to the trolling on MR. Apple executives have more class and professionalism and Consumer Reports is a credible organization so the adult and professional response isn't simply to deny it. It would be that they are working with CR to understand why their results are different from Apple's extensive testing and the results of many reviewers as well, e.g., field data.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
It's probably always a fresh boot that has the software running for a while at peak performance. Then the leaks kick in. That's why Apple asking you to reboot a device masks any issues from further usage of a device.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
In short, you would take random anecdotes of poor battery life from people on forums and social media at their word? Just like that?

Yep. I'm sure some people get good battery life, but there's been too many stories of bad battery performance for me to take the risk.

Besides, let's not pretend that would be the only reason not to buy it anyway

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
"C'mon guys! The check was in the mail! You couldn't have waited another day to post your review??"

(Also, lol @ Rene Ritchie. I can't go to iMore anymore. That guy has to be on Apple's PR team)

Imore does have a point. CR got 3 widely different battery life test results. Won't that suggest that something might be amiss with their battery testing methodology? Instead of ascertaining the reason behind this inconsistency, CR is opting to write it off as the MBP's problem.

Some people here are suggesting that the MBP was rushed. Seems the report by CR was rushed as well to meet a certain deadline and fit a certain narrative as well.

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
Phil and Tim, get your act together. Give the Mac some love.

Totally agreed.

It is so maddening that these guys are overlooking the strategic value of Mac platform in the whole Apple ecosystem.
You know the cracks are appearing when lots of Apple fans are up in arms with what is happening in Apple these days.

Many signs of imbalances within the company showed up this year. Long laundry list of actions big and small that demonstrates Apple execs are out of touch with the user base.
- languishing of Macs - be it MacBook Air, Mac mini or Mac Pro
- screwing up MacBook Pro updates
- too lazy to update iPhone 7 design (to think that this is their most important product)
- whole donglelife thing is so form over function
- killing off the Apple display
- killing off the Apple wireless routers
- removing time remaining estimate

Aaaarrrrghhh, I sense disturbance in the force!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.