Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
Your initial premise was that APPLE was Profiteering from Adapter-sales. When I show you that that didn't HAVE to be the case, you PIVOT to say instead:

1. Well, it doesn't matter if you buy from Apple or not.

2. You wouldn't want "cheap dongles and cables".

3. A crippled USB 3.0 Port is still better than using a tiny $2.50 (3 pack for $7) USB-C to USB-A adapter like the one below from Amazon that you can just snap onto the end of your precious USB-A thingy and forget it. As I said, you can easily turn a single USB-C port into a USB-A port (or four) (and many others) at any time; but you can NEVER turn a USB-A port into ANYTHING else. It is a USB-A port, and that is that. Meanwhile, each USB-C port can be up FOUR Full-Bandwidth USB 3.0 ports (not a Hub, but rather, a breakout) for $10. So, either way, you have MORE choice, not less, with USB-C.

End of discussion.

71irU9OATFL._SL1500_.jpg

So, it’s patently obvious that ANYTHING I say will simply be gainsay-ed by you, as you keep moving the goalposts in a desperate attempt to find something objectionable.

By screaming at these people for so long, you’ve managed only to muddy the issue. The complainers’ primary gripe is that they don’t want to buy an ultra-thin, ultra-light, ultra-simplified laptop and then hang a bunch of dongles off of it just to regain important functionality the previous models offered for less money without dongles. We all know that Thunderbolt 3 is superior to every port which came before it. That’s beside the point. Thunderbolt 3 is hard to love when you don’t own any Thunderbolt 3 devices. All it promises for the time being is dongles now, rewards later, while destroying the elegance of the MacBook Pro.

Reactions: Adam Warlock
Sep 8, 2016
By screaming at these people for so long, you’ve managed only to muddy the issue. The complainers’ primary gripe is that they don’t want to buy an ultra-thin, ultra-light, ultra-simplified laptop and then hang a bunch of dongles off of it just to regain important functionality the previous models offered for less money without dongles. We all know that Thunderbolt 3 is superior to every port which came before it. That’s beside the point. Thunderbolt 3 is hard to love when you don’t own any Thunderbolt 3 devices. All it promises for the time being is dongles now, rewards later, while destroying the elegance of the MacBook Pro.
WOOSH!

the point is that it doesn't HAVE to be "a bunch of dongles"; but likely only one or two, depending on what YOUR particular I/O requirements happen to be AT THE MOMENT. And, unlike a laptop with non-multifunction ports, you have an EXTRAORDINARILY wide variety of I/O COMBINATIONS. At this point, if you can't see the advantages of such an approach, then the problem is you, sorry.

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
So, it's patently obvious that ANYTHING I say will simply be gainsay-ed by you, as you keep moving the goalposts in a desperate attempt to find something objectionable.
No. I replied to a post from Abazigal in which he wrote: "I feel it is important that we learn to see new opportunities rather than just problems all the time." I found that laughable because, as I replied, the only opportunity I saw is that of Apple selling a dongle that we didn't need before. Who gives a crap if it's Apple doing the selling or not? I was commenting on the 'opportunity' bit, but clearly Apple is at the forefront of this 'opportunity' by designing a laptop with nothing but USB-C ports.

As to the rest of your post, you're right about one thing: it is the end of the discussion since clearly you have no objection to spending more money on adapters and dongles that were completely unneeded until now. Good for you. Enjoy the future while the rest of us deal with today.
[doublepost=1483410600][/doublepost]
All it promises for the time being is dongles now, rewards later, while destroying the elegance of the MacBook Pro.
Exactly.

I've been in this game a long time now, and let me tell you something about buying 'for the future': it's usually a crock of you-know-what. People who pony up lots of money to be on the bleeding edge typically find that by the time the promised 'future' comes to pass something else will have come along and become the new 'future' leaving your old 'future-proofed' piece of kit a colossal waste of money, another empty promise.

MarsViolet

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2003
WOOSH!

the point is that it doesn't HAVE to be "a bunch of dongles"; but likely only one or two, depending on what YOUR particular I/O requirements happen to be AT THE MOMENT. And, unlike a laptop with non-multifunction ports, you have an EXTRAORDINARILY wide variety of I/O COMBINATIONS. At this point, if you can't see the advantages of such an approach, then the problem is you, sorry.

Apologize for all those capitalized words instead.

Negan Lannister

Suspended
Dec 27, 2016
I believe the future of computing lies in iOS and Android, not windows and macOS. Mark my words. The Mac will end up being for legacy and niche uses. The iPad will be the mainstream computer for everyone else.
Google is developing the Andromeda OS for desktops that could be a marriage of Android and Chrome OS or newly built from scratch OS altogether.

I hope you're wrong. Future iPads better have ports to recognize all the external hard drives I have been stockpiling. It better have greater multi-tasking like going on YouTube and have the video/audio play in the background while I open a different tab as any smartphone still can't do this. It better have an MP4 converter app. It better run Transmission or anything for torrents.

There is still so much that can be done better on a laptop especially with a keyboard, drag and drop, folders, ports to recognize external drives, and teaching yourself how to touch type faster. Many iDevices doesn't even have TRIM support or ability to clear the cache like what Android and Macs can do.

iOS needs to get a whole lot better for it to truly replace OS X. Until then, hell no! Will leave Apple completely if they ruin their desktop OS for the kiddie mobile one catered to bigger iDiots.

Reactions: Adam Warlock

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
[doublepost=1483399494][/doublepost]i'm doing battery tests as well...i need help though understanding what to really expect (I'm NOT a computer guy). I'm testing the machines versus my oldest daughter's machine (2015 13" MBP also with 16GB) . I'd appreciate feedback on this topic please: I purchased 2 13" tbMacbook Pros (upgraded to 16GB)..these were for my 2 younger kids (for CHRISTMAS). We have been traveling so they have had little time to use the machines. Last night I set up a Netflix movie on all 3 machines and got 396 minutes on one tb machine, 401 on the other and 483 minutes on the 2015 machine. All 3 were set to full brightness and 2 bars of sound. I had them play Minecraft on full bright on all 3 and the tb machines got 99 minutes and 100 minutes and the 2015 machine got 227 minutes on the 2015 machine (the tb machines both cut off at 3% battery and the 2015 machine went to the end). I called Apple and had them run a diagnositcs on both new machines and nothing is wrong. Is the 20% less battery life on the new machines to be expected? I don't hink the battery lif will be an issue - as my kids are rarely allowed to play games and also have Ipads and and Imac at home but do not want to miss out on my return window if there is a problem. I just do not know what is normal battery life. They will primarily be using these for school work.
Hi you seem to have got more battery life than me but my machine is a 15 inch TB. I got 5hours 30. However I was streaming two videos simultaneously. Maybe that would have lessened the battery and I would have got closer to yours had it been just one. Still nowhere near the 10 hours Apple says they should have. Ironically though my 2015 mid MacBook 15 got less than the 2016 by 30 mins. So using that as a barrometer I'm going to keep the 2016. Not ideal. But I tend to have it plugged in most of the time. As to whether there's a battery fault no one seems to know for sure. I might call up Apple support. But they tend to be never know that much more than you do. And will send it off for repair which I can't do with right now. I like the machine though so will keep

GSDLVR123

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
USA
Hi you seem to have got more battery life than me but my machine is a 15 inch TB. I got 5hours 30. However I was streaming two videos simultaneously. Maybe that would have lessened the battery and I would have got closer to yours had it been just one. Still nowhere near the 10 hours Apple says they should have. Ironically though my 2015 mid MacBook 15 got less than the 2016 by 30 mins. So using that as a barrometer I'm going to keep the 2016. Not ideal. But I tend to have it plugged in most of the time. As to whether there's a battery fault no one seems to know for sure. I might call up Apple support. But they tend to be never know that much more than you do. And will send it off for repair which I can't do with right now. I like the machine though so will keep
Yes - I called Apple Support/Care - they offered me a return label (good for 14 days). Considering it seems within 20% of my older daughters (2015 MBP 13" 16GB 256). I will keep them as they like the computers overall and the battery will not present an issue - I also bought everyone IPads so they will have both to utilize for school. I wish you well.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Yes - I called Apple Support/Care - they offered me a return label (good for 14 days). Considering it seems within 20% of my older daughters (2015 MBP 13" 16GB 256). I will keep them as they like the computers overall and the battery will not present an issue - I also bought everyone IPads so they will have both to utilize for school. I wish you well.
After your message it got me thinking I should call support anyway. They ran diagnostics and my battery was fine. But I may go in store for a deeper diagnostic test. I will also run one final test of my own tomorrow playing an iTunes movie on loop with brightness at 12 clicks to see if it comes close to the advertised 10 hours. Anything under 9 and I will be annoyed as that's misleading advertising. We shall see.

GSDLVR123

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
USA
After your message it got me thinking I should call support anyway. They ran diagnostics and my battery was fine. But I may go in store for a deeper diagnostic test. I will also run one final test of my own tomorrow playing an iTunes movie on loop with brightness at 12 clicks to see if it comes close to the advertised 10 hours. Anything under 9 and I will be annoyed as that's misleading advertising. We shall see.

I understand the annoyance - but honestly I seldom concern myself with advertising - as it relates to possibilities ('up to', 'starting price', etc) LOL. I've had brokers pitch me saying they had clients with returns far greater than I've EVER seen - I just smile and say 'good for them'. I'm older, and though not from Missouri (show me state) - I believe very little from people/companies. I believe after our tests these laptops will serve my kids well - and despite paying approx. 4500 for 2 laptops, I feel if they give my kids 3-4 years of trouble free machines, I'll be pleased with the value. I hope you are pleased with your machine and it works out as you want- life's too short to worry about the small stuff (if I was able to practice that I never would have had my heart attack)!! Best to you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.