Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has bought Israeli startup RealFace, a cybersecurity and machine learning firm specializing in facial recognition technology.

The Times of Israel reported on Sunday that the Tel Aviv-based company, founded in 2014, was snapped up by Apple for an estimated $2 million, while Hebrew-language Calcalist said the deal was worth "several million dollars".

Screen-Shot-2-1-800x535.jpg

RealFace's website is currently offline, but according to promotional material, the startup had developed a unique facial recognition technology that integrates artificial intelligence and "brings back human perception to digital processes". RealFace's software is said to use proprietary IP in the field of "frictionless face recognition" that allows for rapid learning from facial features.

The Israeli startup also developed a now-defunct app called Pickeez, which selected and collated a user's best photos across various platforms using the RealFace recognition software.

Demo of RealFace's face recognition software

According to iPhone 8 rumors, Apple may ditch Touch ID along with the physical home button, in favor of a facial recognition-capable front-facing 3D laser scanner, although with the RealFace acquisition coming at such a late time, it's unlikely that the any of the startup's technology will feature.

RealFace is the fourth Israel-based firm Apple is known to have acquired. In 2011 it bought flash memory maker Anobit for a reported $400 million, then in November 2013 it acquired 3D sensor company PrimeSense for an estimated $345 million. Most recently in 2015, Apple bought LinX for around $20 million.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Israeli Firm RealFace Specializing in Facial Recognition

adepew

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2016
Touch ID is so convenient. It has made iPhones infinitely more productive vs passcodes. Also, how well does this work under differing conditions? Low light? What if I have a beard and then I shave my face or vice versa? How fast would it work as Touch ID is lightning quick. I also prefer a physical button or at least the imprint for one (which unfortunately looks like it is going away). It's going to take some real convincing for me to say Touch ID is ready for pasture. Hopefully this is in addition to Touch ID and not in place of Touch ID. I guess time will tell.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Dear MR,
While I enjoy these articles.... PLEASE stop mentioning the incredibly unlikely scenario of loss of TouchID.

Edit:
When TouchID came out; nobody was saying: "and Apple is removing the ability to use a passcode; you'll be forced to use this feature, whether it's buggy or not"- so I'm unsure why this time around everyone has glommed into this RIDICULOUS rumor, so far only postulated by a single "analyst", based here in America, that has no insider info, or ties w/ the production factories. It really reads like his personal opinion based on nothing other than that.... it's his opinion.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
I'm not sure how Apple could ditch Touch ID, given Apple Pay's reliance on it. I would think it could be very problematic to not only hold your iPhone next a store's payment terminal, but then make sure it's held at an angle that allows the camera to scan your face, if that is how they would make Touch ID work.
It would be kind of odd to ditch Touch ID so soon after it's introduction. *pedant alert* Apple Pay doesn't rely on Touch ID. Touch ID is the most convenient way to use Apple Pay. I personally think facial rec will be an added functionality not a replacement.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
This would be an ok SUPPLEMENT to TouchID, but I hope it isn't a replacement for it. I can see how they might use this for things like unlocking certain apps, or hidden files/folders, while keeping TouchID for unlocking the phone and Apple Pay.

For instance, you still unlock the phone with TouchID, but once you are in the photos section, you want to open a locked folder for sexy times. Since you are already looking at the phone, the facial recognition can detect that you are the authorized user and unlocks that folder automatically without having to go and press your thumb for touchID.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Touch ID is so convenient. It has made iPhones infinitely more productive vs passcodes. Also, how well does this work under differing conditions?
How well does TouchID work under differing conditions? Rain? No. Sweating? No. Doing the dishes? No. Wearing gloves? No. After swimming with your skin somewhat soaked? No. After doing rock climbing? No.

creediddy

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I believe the interface is somewhat clunky...doesn't look Apple like. However TouchID is going nowhere! I repeat going nowhere. TouchID has been the staple for Apple security for log-ins, Apple Pay. I believe Apple adds on FaceID for options of security rather than replace it with FaceID.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Dear MR,
While I enjoy these articles.... PLEASE stop mentioning the incredibly unlikely scenario of loss of TouchID.

Edit:
When TouchID came out; nobody was saying: "and Apple is removing the ability to use a passcode; you'll be forced to use this feature, whether it's buggy or not"- so I'm unsure why this time around everyone has glommed into this RIDICULOUS rumor, so far only postulated by a single "analyst", based here in America, that has no insider info, or ties w/ the production factories. It really reads like his personal opinion based on nothing other than that.... it's his opinion.
I also doubt they'd remove Touch ID, however in this case we do have a key difference to back then:

A code is a simple software feature, Touch ID is another piece on the bill of materials.

There are actual cost savings if they did remove it, which again, I doubt they'd go for.

Glassed Silver:win

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I still think there will be a fingerprint reader , but it will be on the back of the new iphone.
There are more and more clues that apple won' t be able to implement an inscreen touchid button , yet, with the release of an iphone x. Maybe later. The s8 that has yet to be released by samsung also doesn' t have it in-screen, but on the back.
I think(and i know it is a stretch) , apple will put it on the back, behind the apple logo, and will release new cases with a precise apple logo cutout( they are the only one that can do that because of copyright.) Since apple is making more and more money from accesories the last few years, this will fit in their business strategy.

It will be used like this:

-apple pay, touchid on the back can be used, you can feel the apple logo , put your finger on the logo and pay with the phone without looking at the phone.

-unlocking the phone: when picking up your iphone/raise the iphone, the locking screen will apear.( just like it does now) and the virtual homebutton will apear. When you press the virtual homebutton the facial recog tech will kick in and unlock your iphone instantly.

-when you make an online purchase, you can pay by touchid on the back, or with facial recognition. Or both (Determined by your settings/preferences).

I hope this won' t happen, but you never know at apple.

Last edited:

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
It will definitely have Touch ID in some form. Nobody is going to be using facial recognition to authenticate in store Apple Pay purchases.

I do already on my SP4 all the time...not that bad, in fact its "magical". You can bet a pretty penny apl will not put more in than they need to and expect you to adapt. That means...Touch ID =toast.

Just like with "no headphone" Apl is leaking this early to let you justify the change on podcasts etc. so it won't be a thing rather expected when it launches.

You may get a touch ID dongle for the "magical" extra $79

For those that want additional backup you may be able to face ID and punch in a PIN
I have to say on the above video the blue circle thing is sort of lame.

Last edited:

Declerambault

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2017
London, UK
I'm not sure how it will overcome the identical twin problem. My twin girls definitely wouldn't appreciate the other playing about on their iPad.
Photos app has never been able to tell them apart - I imagine this will be much more sophisticated, but faces are less unique than fingerprints - in our family at least!

Reactions: S G

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
I'm not sure how it will overcome the identical twin problem. My twin girls definitely wouldn't appreciate the other playing about on their iPad.
Photos app has never been able to tell them apart - I imagine this will be much more sophisticated, but faces are less unique than fingerprints - in our family at least!

Last edited by a moderator:

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
I' ll guess we' ll get more clues if apple releases the new 10.5(?) ipad pro. If they want the 10.5 in the same footprint as the 9.7 , it is plausible that the homebutton will have to be placed somewhere else, or is in-screen or something like that. Perhaps it will already have facial recog instead of touchid.
In a device like the ipad, it actually makes more sense to drop touchid for facial recog.
There is no need to unlock the ipad , when you are not looking at it, i don' t see people using their big ipad as much as an iphone for apple pay in shops, etc.

Last edited:

BoltmanLives

Suspended
Feb 10, 2017
This is tremendously exciting. It's a shame that Applephone---sorry, Apple---doesn't have the money or human resources to do anything but tinker with the iPhone. A real shame.
Have they pulled the plug on the Mac yet?

Its not tinker with iPhone its tinker with then original iPod design like taco bell does basic food items....that and Apl2 variants is what apl does.

Apl is about new: Big, color, two, finger, face, wireless charge,stickers, harry potter pics, 3d touch, force touch, OLED. pay, no headphone/airpod.... its spin the wheel and pick two or three then release save rest for later....sell the new one make older ones less so people feel compelled and driven towards new in ads and by friends. Rinse /repeat

Last edited:

meaning-matters

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Question 1: Will it unlock with an image, or does it require a real face (pun intended) 99.99% of attempts?

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
My guess is it's going to be an optional 1-3 factor identification authentication.
There really is nothing easier than just touching the screen for the general consumer. And longer passcode for those who need that extra security. Then trow in face recognition for those of us with privacy issues.
Who knows? As hackers get better, you may need more than one factor authentication for sensitive info.

Last edited:

Goatllama

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2015
Mountaintop Lair
"brings back human perception to digital processes"
Did they mean "brings human perception back to digital processes?" Either way doesn't make all that much sense; digital processes never had human perception, which is kind of the point, right? Am I just thinking too hard about this?

Anyways, I hope they put this purchase to good use, unlike all the games on Steam that my friends buy and never play.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.