Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's "Other Products" category, which includes the Apple TV, Apple Watch, Beats products, iPod, and Apple-branded and third-party accessories, is seeing solid growth according to Apple's Q2 2017 earnings results.

Revenue from "Other Products" was at $2.87 billion during the quarter, up from $2.19 billion in the year-ago quarter.

airpods-2-800x436.jpg

Apple Watch sales doubled year-over-year during the holiday quarter, and according to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the response to AirPods has been "great." Cook says that demand for AirPods continues to significantly exceed supply, and that Beats growth is also "very strong."

"Combine Apple Watch, AirPods, and Beats and our revenue from wearable products in the last four quarters was the size of a Fortune 500 company," said Cook.

Article Link: Apple's 'Other Products' Category Sees Strong Growth in Q2 2017

Cloudkicker

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2016
London, Canada/Los Angeles, CA
A shady af company lumping a whole bunch of odds & ends & under-preformers in a broad brushstroke bin...... But it seems die-hard Apple-ites don't seem to mind, so long as they see a combo of increased revenues & increased iPhone sales (& it seems only those 2).

Will.O.Bie

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2016
I'm interested to see how they would improve the design and functionality of the AirPods. I just can't see myself using anything else but those. Battery life is very good compared to other similarly priced wireless earphones. Sound is just as good, if not, better than some wired headphones. By far the best wireless earphones I've owned, can't wait for version 2.0.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
what other accessories are there?

a case?

interested in version 2 of the airpods. once they update it so it doesnt look like two toothbrush heads hanging off the ear.

There are not a lot of independent accessories from the iPhone, but the Airpods and Apple Watch work seamlessly with the iPhone to illustrate more so what I was posting.

I have been impressed with the AirPods with the battery life, comfortability and overall portability with the charging case. This has been a huge hit for Apple even with the delay initially.

The Apple Watch speaks for itself with notifications and fitness. I think the Series Apple Watch was a step in the right direction with the GPS and additional water resistance.

Both of these products have a future with Apple and will continue to expand with improvements. I think there's no arguing or denying the overall depth both of these accessories to the iPhone contribute.

Luke MacWalker

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2014
A shady af company lumping a whole bunch of odds & ends & under-preformers in a broad brushstroke bin...... But it seems die-hard Apple-ites don't seem to mind, so long as they see a combo of increased revenues & increased iPhone sales (& it seems only those 2).
I've just skimmed the articles, but it looks like everything increased year over year, except iPad sales which still represent more than 80% of over $200 tablets though.
Would you care to detail what are these underperformers you talked about?

Reactions: CarlJ

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Apple Watch sales doubled year-over-year during the holiday quarter...

And yet they're so proud of those numbers that they continue to obscure them by placing them in the "Other" category.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
And yet they're so proud of those numbers that they continue to obscure them by placing them in the "Other" category.

Fairly normal for financial reporting. What's your point? That there's a hidden bad performer in there and that the others are doing exceptionally well to compensate?

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Fairly normal for financial reporting. What's your point? That there's a hidden bad performer in there and that the others are doing exceptionally well to compensate?
Do I really need to explain? Apple can claim whatever the hell they want to about the Watch but without the numbers to back that claim up there's no way to know if that's true or not.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
I'm interested to see how they would improve the design and functionality of the AirPods. I just can't see myself using anything else but those. Battery life is very good compared to other similarly priced wireless earphones. Sound is just as good, if not, better than some wired headphones. By far the best wireless earphones I've owned, can't wait for version 2.0.

I own the in ear Apple earbuds as my secondary set of headphones and would buy in ear AirPods in a heartbeat.

Carnegie

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012

How is it shady? Most companies don't break out product sales that granularly. Apple provides more detail in this regard than most consumer product companies do.

According to Samsung, how many tablets did it sell last year? For that matter, how many smartphones?

How many Kindles did Amazon report selling last year?

If and when any of those product categories (e.g. Apple Watch, AirPods, Apple TV) become, by themselves, a significant part of Apple's financial results, Apple will likely start breaking them out as their own reported categories. The iPod represented more than 7% of Apple's total revenue before it became its own reported category. The iPhone was its own reported category from the beginning, but it also represented a significant part of Apple's total revenue almost immediately (though, at the time, accounting standards were different so what got reported as iPhone revenue each month was considerably lower).

jacjustjac

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
New York, NY
I'm not holding my breath for any functionality improvements anytime soon. I suppose someday they can make them touch sensitive so you can change the volume. But if they make them in black... man, I would not be able to resist.

Disclaimer: I gushed about the AirPods for months and received one of the first pairs before Christmas, then returned them when I found they hurt my ears, disconnected frequently, and looked ridiculous. I'm hoping they come in jet black soon, with possibly a shape adjustment.

Reactions: Will.O.Bie

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Do I really need to explain? Apple can claim whatever the hell they want to about the Watch but without the numbers to back that claim up there's no way to know if that's true or not.
These are numbers reported to the SEC. If they are false then someone might go to jail. Therefore they are true.

Reactions: John.B
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.