Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple updated its website on Wednesday with U.S. job creation numbers from 2016, revealing that the company has generated a total of 2 million jobs across all 50 states.

Last year saw Apple spend more than $50 billion with 9,000 U.S. suppliers and manufacturers, and create around 90,000 supplier and manufacturer jobs, bringing the total number to 450,000 jobs, up from 361,000 in 2015. Meanwhile the number of people directly employed by Apple rose to 80,000, up from 76,000 in the previous year.

Screen-Shot-1-1-800x409.jpg

Across the U.S., 29 cities are home to at least 250 Apple employees, while 44 states have an Apple Store. Apple says it has seen a 28x increase in employment outside of California since 2000, with a 1,500 percent growth in U.S. employees as a whole since 1998.

Software-wise, Apple states that 1,530,000 U.S. jobs could be linked to the App Store ecosystem, an increase of 130,000 from 2015. U.S. developers were said to have earned $16 billion from sales since the App Store was launched in 2008.

The dedicated web page also provides a state-by-state breakdown of the above figures and highlights some of Apple's major U.S. investments, including its Cupertino headquarters, data centers in North Carolina, Oregon, and Reno, and campuses in Arizona and Texas.

The website changes come on the same day CEO Tim Cook announced that Apple is creating a new $1 billion fund for advanced manufacturing, in a further effort to promote U.S. job creation.

Article Link: Apple Claims 2 Million Jobs Created Across 50 U.S. States

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
I create jobs too! Tons of jobs linked to me!

I buy food.
I **** in the toilet. The infrastructure and it runs to the wate disposal plant.
I take the train to work!
Eat prepared food!
Throw out garbage, more jobs!

Im a job creator!

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
The "statistics" on Apple's website are complete rubbish! Apple can't claim 1.53 million US jobs as their own creation.

99% of those “US jobs attributable to the App Store ecosystem” are casual/part time, self made developers struggling to make a cent. These individuals were also already coding and writing apps well before Apple came along.

Apple needs to provide a full breakdown of App Store profits, and who is making the total sum of the profits. I’d argue 99% of those in the Apple Store ecosystem are making less than 1% of the profits.

Complete utter rubbish. All Apple can claim is 80k direct Apple employees, that’s it. If Apple wants to talk supplier employees, then let’s get real and talk about 1 million employees at Apple’s offshore Chinese and other overseas factories. That's where the majority of Apple's employees work if we're talking about "jobs attributable" and other such nonsense.

The clues to the truth is actually found in what Apple omits and does not include in the discussion. Apple lies to customers so much it’s disgraceful. The stats on Apple's website are completely flimsy and the production of an ametuer marketing team. The stats completely discredit the Apple brand, they are totally bogus.

Last edited:

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012

I buy food.
I **** in the toilet. The infrastructure and it runs to the wate disposal plant.
I take the train to work!
Eat prepared food!
Throw out garbage, more jobs!

Im a job creator!

Oh please MacRumors, can you bring back the down vote option.

...moments later received an administrator response warning. :)

AllStarDude

Suspended
May 4, 2017
Ohio
My sister makes close to 30 bucks an hour working for Apple from her home. Apple does outsource manufacturing but they don't outsource everything else. Ever notice when you call customer service..you talk to an American. Every other company has call centers in the Philippines. We live in a small town in PA and truth be told there are about 20 people in this town that work for Apple. And yes it's Corporate Apple.

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
The "statistics" on Apple's website are complete rubbish! Apple can't claim 1.53 million US jobs as their own creation.

99% of those “US jobs attributable to the App Store ecosystem” are casual/part time, self made developers struggling to make a cent. These individuals were also already coding and writing apps well before Apple came along.

Apple needs to provide a full breakdown of App Store profits, and who is making the total sum of the profits. I’d argue 99% of those in the Apple Store ecosystem are making less than 1% of the profits.

Complete utter rubbish. All Apple can claim is 80k direct Apple employees, that’s it. If Apple wants to talk supplier employees, then let’s get real and talk about 1 million employees at Apple’s offshore Chinese and other overseas factories. That's where the majority of Apple's employees work if we're talking about "jobs attributable" and other such nonsense.

The clues to the truth is actually found in what Apple omits and does not include in the discussion. Apple lies to customers so much it’s disgraceful. The stats on Apple's website are completely flimsy and the production of an ametuer marketing team. The stats completely discredit the Apple brand, they are totally bogus.

This is how everyone plays this game though to the point that there must be an economic principle this is based upon. Look at the fantasy numbers about job creation that came out of the stimulus bill. Same math. You just need to understand that these numbers aren't calculating direct reports.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
...Source?

I've got an entire floor of here at work with developers creating/updating apps for iOS and tvOS.

Any company that has an app has developers...

RichTF

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2007
London, UK

What's the source for this 2M figure? Apple buys glass from Corning therefore anyone who works at Corning is a job created because of Apple? Seriously?

If you go to their webpage and actually read it, they do provide sources for these numbers. Admittedly I lack the economics background to validate them personally, but the footnote for "suppliers" includes this:
Apple website said:
Analysis Group analyzed Apple’s impact on the U.S. job market and economy by using information on the total amount Apple spent on goods and services in the U.S. in 2016, and applying that information to Type-1 employment multipliers developed by the U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis

Which, to me, sounds like it's based on the amount they spend with those suppliers, so they're not just assuming that every single employee job there has been "created" by Apple. Anyone with a more economics-y background able to shed more light on this?

It's fine to have a go at Apple for just making up nonsense if that's what they're actually doing, but you should at least read the information they're making available first. C'mon people — this is a perfect example of the sort of automatic knee-jerk Apple-bashing and negativity that people here complain about!

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
...Source?

I've got an entire floor of here at work with developers creating/updating apps for iOS and tvOS.

Any company that has an app has developers...
You have to look beyond the obvious hyperbole and verbosity in that quote to see the actual point. To be fair, there's a lot to look beyond.:D Point being, these are the types of marketing numbers that take extreme liberties with facts. Apple's not the only company guilty of the practice (not saying that you claimed this), but others doing it too is not a valid argument for taking this "news" as anything but marketing propaganda. To read anything into these numbers is folly.

If those devs were hired at the World Wide Leader for iOS/tvOS app development and that's all they do, then that is job creation attributable to Apple. A company having an app developer can't arbitrarily be attributable to Apple because that dev could have already been an employee.

Reactions: macs4nw and H2SO4

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
I don't for a second believe 1.5 million people in the US earn their living through the App Store and the App Store alone. App Store earnings are heavily skewed to the largest and most profitable developers. Most will earn a moderate amount of pocket money at best.

This is pretty blatant spin even for Apple. I'd like to see a Fact Checker take on their claim. I'm sure it would score "highly dubious" if not "blatantly false".

And Apple claim they want to combat alternative facts? How about they start combatting their own?

Often games are ported to iOS relatively quickly and easily because of engines like Unity. So does that mean income from those apps created those jobs and if so how does Apple estimate how many? The page contains no information on how they came up with this estimate. No doubt a very liberal and superficial approach was taken to their employment estimates, if not plucking a number out of thin air to make nice and impressive sounding 2 million figure. If this was a scholarly article it would be laughed at and thrown in the bin.

The thing is, half a million jobs isn't bad at all. Pretty god-damned impressive actually. Why the need even to inflate it to 2 million? Half a million real jobs is way better than reporting 2 million of which three-quarters are indirect/maybe/possibly jobs. Then there's the nearly half a million "supplier jobs" they say they created too. I wonder how they audited that!

It's beyond arrogant of Apple to say they created the jobs of these developers or suppliers. Indirectly enabled some no doubt but not created.

This is marketing PR meant to lobby Washington. Nothing more.

Last edited:

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
If you go to their webpage and actually read it, they do provide sources for these numbers. Admittedly I lack the economics background to validate them personally, but the footnote for "suppliers" includes this:

Which, to me, sounds like it's based on the amount they spend with those suppliers, so they're not just assuming that every single employee job there has been "created" by Apple. Anyone with a more economics-y background able to shed more light on this?

It's fine to have a go at Apple for just making up nonsense if that's what they're actually doing, but you should at least read the information they're making available first. C'mon people — this is a perfect example of the sort of automatic knee-jerk Apple-bashing and negativity that people here complain about!
Not a knee-jerk reaction. The data is as clear as mud. Based on that, the data is not reliable, not easily verified, nor can it be generalized as Apple has attempted to do.

Reactions: H2SO4 and simonmet

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Previouly, Apple has said app devs made $20 billion in sales in 2016. With this new info about 1,530,000 app developer jobs created due to Apple, that is $13,071.89 per dev per year in average. LMAO

Reactions: gvortex

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Previouly, Apple has said app devs made $20 billion in sales in 2016. With this new info about 1,530,000 app developer jobs created due to Apple, that is $13,071.89 per dev per year in average. LMAO
kinda ******** pay for a "job" that's not even minimum wage at 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year (no taxes, bonuses, benefits)

Most likely the developers have a 2nd job and treat this as a hobby, but is that really a job?

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
This is basic economics. If you put a certain amount of money into circulation in a local economy, those funds will support a certain number of jobs and businesses. People spend their money on food, shelter, health care, transportation... When they don't have it, they can't spend it, and others will feel the pinch.

People tend to cry "foul" when employers use job creation estimates to negotiate tax credits for opening a new factory or to persuade voters to build a stadium, but those same people will cry foul over lost jobs when that factory closes or the team moves out of town. Sorry, but the numbers work in both directions.

Now, one can argue, "If it wasn't Apple, it would be some other company," but each company's activities are likely to have a different localized impact. An Apple Retail Store will have its impact in one town, an Amazon Distribution Center will have its impact in a different town. If people have to leave a town to find employment, that town suffers, and when they arrive in a new town, the new town benefits. That's why they say, "All politics is local." Until people can observe the cause-and-effect they can't fully appreciate it.

Sure, this whole thing is PR, but there's nothing wrong with that. Apple is perceived as a company that spends all its money overseas. Since it does not spend it all "over there," they're trying to get credit where credit is due.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
Its time that Apple executives stop getting bonuses based on the profits that are parked overseas that are not given to the investors. Just because the executives don't want to pay taxes to the country they live and work in. The country that has provided them massive benefits; from defense to public health. Its time for those Taxes to be paid.

Reactions: macfacts

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Thanks Donald Trump, You are already the greatest President in American history. Make the fake media and the snowflakes melt away. #MAGA!!

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Okay, what's their income? Can they afford an iPhone Edition?

Just because you have a job doesn't mean you can afford anything you want.
[doublepost=1493918042][/doublepost]
Thanks Donald Trump, You are already the greatest President in American history. Make the fake media and the snowflakes melt away. #MAGA!!

we can only hope, so far i think he's finding the job tougher then he anticipated.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Its time that Apple executives stop getting bonuses based on the profits that are parked overseas that are not given to the investors. Just because the executives don't want to pay taxes to the country they live and work in. The country that has provided them massive benefits; from defense to public health. Its time for those Taxes to be paid.

Talk about math that doesn't add up...

If the Apple executive works in the US, his/her bonus gets paid in the US, which means he/she does indeed pay US taxes on that bonus, even on that part of the bonus due to overseas profits.

But what you were probably trying to say is that the executives are responsible for not bringing the overseas money back to the US... Sorry, this is something every multinational company does. The decision is made at the board of directors level, not by the executives. It's simply more profitable to leave the money where it was earned than it is to pay an additional tax to bring it "home." Since a board of directors has a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders to maximize profit (and the stock price and dividends are based on that profit)... Any money given to the government instead of to investors is money taken out of the investors' pockets. What's good for the citizens of a country is not always good for the investors.

Apple does indeed give money "parked overseas" to its investors. Apple has borrowed something like $90 billion in recent years in order to pay out dividends and buy back stock. The plain fact is, it's cheaper to borrow and pay interest than it is to pay US taxes to bring that cash directly into the country - that means more money for the investors, not less.

A multinational company earns money all over the world, spends its money all over the world, and pays taxes all over the world. There's really no one "home" where all the profits belong, or one country responsible for providing defense or public health.

I recall how much hatred there was here in the US back when Japanese car makers were exporting cars to the US and taking all the profits back to Japan. Then those automakers started building factories and design centers here in the US - investing those profits here in the US, and employing Americans - the public's attitude has changed dramatically.

Multinational corporations are today's version of "colonialism" - or could be, if all the money flowed in only one direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.