Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that more than 400 of its retail stores around the world will turn their logos red over the next week in support of World AIDS Day.

applestorebrusselsredlogo.jpg

For every purchase made with Apple Pay at an Apple retail store, on Apple.com, or through the Apple Store app between World AIDS Day on December 1 and December 7, Apple said it will make a $1 donation to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria. Last year, donations were capped at $1 million.
"Connecting through our products and services helps make it easy for our customers to join us in the effort to create the first AIDS-free generation," said Lisa Jackson, Apple's vice president of Environment, Policy and Social Initiatives. "By working with (RED) to stop the transmission of HIV from moms to their unborn babies, we're already seeing a significant impact in areas where help is needed most. We're committed to continuing the fight and empowering future generations through these vital efforts."
Additionally, on Worlds AID Day, the App Store's Today tab will feature stories dedicated to the cause, including a behind-the-scenes look at how developers are supporting the (RED) initiative, which seeks to raise awareness and funds to help eliminate HIV/AIDS in eight African countries.

app-store-world-aids-day.jpg

Apple has supported (RED) for over a decade by selling various products and accessories in a special (PRODUCT)RED color. Apple donates a portion of the sales proceeds from these products to the Global Fund.
"Apple's commitment to the AIDS fight is unparalleled. It's not just the staggering $160 million raised for the Global Fund that has impacted many millions of lives, it's their ability to bring heat, awareness, energy and eyeballs to keep this issue front and center," said Deb Dugan, CEO, (RED). "Their unwavering support cannot be underestimated, and we thank every Apple employee for helping (RED) reach the milestone of half a billion dollars delivered to help end this disease."
Apple said it raised a record $30 million this year for the Global Fund, equating to 144 million days of medication that prevents the transmission of HIV from mothers to their unborn babies. (RED) has now raised over $500 million overall towards the fight against HIV/AIDS since its creation in 2006.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Supports World AIDS Day: Red Store Logos, Apple Pay Donations, and App Store Stories

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
good initiative T. Hope the SIDA will be curable soon. Where dit the sickness came from anyways?

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
dammnit, since years I'm telling my bros: "we should start a fund company". People and companies are willing like crazy to dump big amounts of $$$ into AIDS and Cancer. And they don't have to show anything for it W H A T S O E V E R. That's almost as good business as buying Bitcoin in 2009.

Reactions: amegicfox

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
dammnit, since years I'm telling my bros: "we should start a fund company". People and companies are willing like crazy to dump big amounts of $$$ into AIDS and Cancer. And they don't have to show anything for it W H A T S O E V E R. That's almost as good business as buying Bitcoin in 2009.
Are you being serious? There's discoveries every year for Aids and Cancer, but they are both extremely hard things to cure. There are slowing process drugs as well as other medications that in fact can subside both to nearly non-detectable levels. And while some cancers can be cured already, other's cannot. Without donations from the human race, who is going to help push these issues away for good? Maybe it won't be in our lifetimes... but it is worth trying if it means saving a life.

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Strange world: This ain't about charity by Apple (as it would be far easier and more effective to fund a .00000x% of their money)
It is market attention around a carefully crafted charity image.
Or: us customers paying Apple - to get them motivating us to pay.

Last edited:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Strange world: This ain't about charity by Apple (as it would be far easier and more effective to fund a .00000x% of their money)
It is market attention around a carefully crafted charity image.
Or: us customers paying Apple - to get them motivating us to pay.
Cool conspiracy theory. I would be interested in subscribing to your newsletter.

jk, that’s absurd nonsense. Corporations are comprised of people and many people like to donate money to good causes just for the hell of it.

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
We don't need to fundraise for AIDS anymore. AIDS is no big deal. Just ask Scott Wiener. That's why he worked so hard to make it a misdemeanor to knowingly transmit it to someone else, instead of a felony.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally, and was responsible for 8.8 million deaths in 2015. Globally, nearly 1 in 6 deaths is due to cancer.

In 2015, an estimated 1.6 million deaths were directly caused by diabetes. Another 2.2 million deaths were attributable to high blood glucose in 2012

1.0 million [830,000–1,200,000] people died of HIV-related illnesses worldwide in 2016

What did Apple do for World Cancer Day?

What did they do for World Diabetes Day?

So, why does World Aids Day get so much attention?

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
In the United States, yes, for sure. The spread of AIDS in the US in primarily in the homosexual community. Practicing safe sex or simply keeping it in your pants is the cure for AIDS in the US, homo or hetero.
Dirty needles, also.
[doublepost=1512062919][/doublepost]
Cancer is the second leading cause of death globally, and was responsible for 8.8 million deaths in 2015. Globally, nearly 1 in 6 deaths is due to cancer.

In 2015, an estimated 1.6 million deaths were directly caused by diabetes. Another 2.2 million deaths were attributable to high blood glucose in 2012

1.0 million [830,000–1,200,000] people died of HIV-related illnesses worldwide in 2016

Because in developed nations it primarily affects homosexuals and homosexuals are a favored political group of Apple and other left of center companies.

If cancer or diabetes were primarily "homosexual" diseases, or African American diseases, or Latino diseases, you can bet they'd have their own "days."

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

I think it’s more about spreading awareness for a disease that too many people assume they can’t get. The causes you mention are great causes too.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Are you being serious? There's discoveries every year for Aids and Cancer, but they are both extremely hard things to cure. There are slowing process drugs as well as other medications that in fact can subside both to nearly non-detectable levels.

This is exactly the point. Every single cent donated to medical research charity goes into the pockets of the richest people on the planet and not one cent is used to actually fund research.

All these discoveries are you talk about being sold for the maximum possible profit; many people can't afford the treatments and die anyway and the ones who can give billions to for-profit companies.

There is so much profit that these companies do the maximum possible amount of R&D as it is because they want to make money. When you donate $1 to aids or cancer research, that is $1 taken out of some company's R&D budget and put straight into profit. If there were more research they could do with your donation, they'd already be doing it because the treatments they develop are so profitable for them.

If you don't believe this is true, show me what treatments have been developed with donated money that are available at cost because donors paid for the research.

And it's even worse. Show me the public domain research papers being produced, used, and cited? Because everyone wants to guard their profits, none of these companies are sharing useful results with other companies, so the rate of progress is slowed drastically and truckloads of money are just wasted on everyone having to work in the dark as far as what others already know.

It is a horrible situation, and people have a knee-jerk reaction to just give anyway in the hope that some good will come of it, but literally every penny you donate to medical research is going directly into the pocket of a billionaire. There's no refuting that fact.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
This is exactly the point. Every single cent donated to medical research charity goes into the pockets of the richest people on the planet and not one cent is used to actually fund research.

All these discoveries are you talk about being sold for the maximum possible profit; many people can't afford the treatments and die anyway and the ones who can give billions to for-profit companies.

There is so much profit that these companies do the maximum possible amount of R&D as it is because they want to make money. When you donate $1 to aids or cancer research, that is $1 taken out of some company's R&D budget and put straight into profit. If there were more research they could do with your donation, they'd already be doing it because the treatments they develop are so profitable for them.

If you don't believe this is true, show me what treatments have been developed with donated money that are available at cost because donors paid for the research.

And it's even worse. Show me the public domain research papers being produced, used, and cited? Because everyone wants to guard their profits, none of these companies are sharing useful results with other companies, so the rate of progress is slowed drastically and truckloads of money are just wasted on everyone having to work in the dark as far as what others already know.

It is a horrible situation, and people have a knee-jerk reaction to just give anyway in the hope that some good will come of it, but literally every penny you donate to medical research is going directly into the pocket of a billionaire. There's no refuting that fact.
You should go talk to some actual medical researchers who spend millions of donated dollars a year working on treatments and you'll see most of what you are saying isn't fact. Sure some of it is.. but there are good people, there are good companies and there are good causes. Donate or don't, makes no difference to me. But when I give my money to this it is because I strongly believe in the cause and I've seen first hand where my money goes when I've had to the pleasure of talking with medical teams treating people. To each his own.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Every year Apple does this.
Every year MacRumors makes a post about it.
Every year a load of people come here and get on their high horse about HIV/AIDS not being a worthy cause.
Every year over 1 million people in Africa die from AIDS.

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
You should go talk to some actual medical researchers who spend millions of donated dollars a year working on treatments and you'll see most of what you are saying isn't fact. Sure some of it is.. but there are good people, there are good companies and there are good causes. Donate or don't, makes no difference to me. But when I give my money to this it is because I strongly believe in the cause and I've seen first hand where my money goes when I've had to the pleasure of talking with medical teams treating people. To each his own.

There's a lot of very good researchers out there, but they have no knowledge or interest in the funding or finance of their work. They want to help people. My daughter is currently in a study at the local children's hospital. I do talk to the research doctors and they are brilliant, kind, wonderful people.

But the fact remains that this research is used for profit and will be done regardless of donations because companies want to do the R&D for the profits.

If you think I'm wrong you show me any evidence of benefit that has come from donations to medical research. Good life-saving treatment that nobody is making a profit on. It doesn't exist. And if it's a for-profit product it would have been created anyway in the pursuit of profit.

Reactions: George Dawes

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Almost totally preventable.

Totally preventable... assuming you know about it and how it spreads (this is where we need attention). I can TOTALLY prevent myself from getting it. Keep non-medical needles out of my body, and keep my johnson out of unapproved holes. Tada... completely protected.

Stop looking for a cure and start looking to prevent the spread... it isn't that hard.
[doublepost=1512066003][/doublepost]
Show support at the Apple Store by appropriately entering through the front door.
I wonder how many people wont get this...

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Cool conspiracy theory. I would be interested in subscribing to your newsletter.
jk, that’s absurd nonsense. Corporations are comprised of people and many people like to donate money to good causes just for the hell of it.
Then tell me where the money originates from, that contributes to the program (RED)/Apple's "generosity" ?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I think it’s more about spreading awareness for a disease that too many people assume they can’t get. The causes you mention are great causes too.

There are no assumptions to me made. Personally speaking, I will NEVER get AIDS because I don't engage in activities where I am vulnerable.

Totally preventable... assuming you know about it and how it spreads (this is where we need attention). I can TOTALLY prevent myself from getting it. Keep non-medical needles out of my body, and keep my johnson out of unapproved holes. Tada... completely protected.

Stop looking for a cure and start looking to prevent the spread... it isn't that hard.
[doublepost=1512066003][/doublepost]
I wonder how many people wont get this...

Well said.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
There's a lot of very good researchers out there, but they have no knowledge or interest in the funding or finance of their work. They want to help people. My daughter is currently in a study at the local children's hospital. I do talk to the research doctors and they are brilliant, kind, wonderful people.

But the fact remains that this research is used for profit and will be done regardless of donations because companies want to do the R&D for the profits.

If you think I'm wrong you show me any evidence of benefit that has come from donations to medical research. Good life-saving treatment that nobody is making a profit on. It doesn't exist. And if it's a for-profit product it would have been created anyway in the pursuit of profit.
Yes for the profit portion, 100 trillion times agree with you. I think I misread your original post. I get what you're saying now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.