21" 2010 iMac. Graphics Failure

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MonkeySee...., Jan 30, 2015.

1. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Hi Guys,

Can anyone confirm my assumptions that my Graphics card has failed. It happened a few times but a restart sorted it but now its coming on like this and then goes white and does nothing.

If it is the Graphics card can you advise how much its likely to cost to get fix?

My iMac is the 21" 2010 i3 3.06 (I think) The base model at the time.

Thanks for your help.

[​IMG]

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Yup, looks like the GPU is failing. Chances are it's not worth replacing on such an old and low-end machine.

3. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thanks for your reply. Really appreciate it. Yeah it is getting on a bit.

Its actually gone away now which is odd. :confused:

4. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

If anyone is interested or has this issue in the future it was a hard drive failure.

Cheers

5. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

6. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Sorry to hear about your issues OP. Will you get a new iMac? If this was me I'd get a new machine given the age of this one.

7. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I should have done! Hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

One separate thought I have is that maybe its an issue with the El Capitan public beta. It was ok before I installed that. :oops:

8. GameGuru38 macrumors regular

GameGuru38

Do a fresh install of Yosemite and see if that fixes it ... or just sell it to me for $100.

9. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

haha. Yeah I may need to.

What i'm thinking though as its a pretty old dog is to stick an SSD in it and do a fresh install on that.

What do you think?

10. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

Just a shot in the dark , but you could try using the SMC fan control software to increase the fan speed, that might keep it cool enough to run a bit more stable...

11. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I'm actually using that. Maybe i need to juice it up a bit. I think its about 49 degrees. is that hot?

12. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

13. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

To me it wouldn't be worth it as the GPU has issues and could fail at any time. It's probably time you think about getting a new iMac.

14. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Having upgraded the gpu in my late 2009 27, I would say find a replacement gpu on eBay and get started. But then i checked the guide for 21.5 on ifixit and Wauv that complicated in comparison! Must be because it is hidden on the back side of the motherboard :-(.
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2389+GPU+Card+Replacement/6272

Nb. It is much easier dealing with the screen, if you leave it standing up instead of lying it down as ifixit shows.

15. Mic360 macrumors newbie

Looks like a GPU issue, had the same thing happen to me a few months ago. I pulled the GPU and baked it, popped it back in and its been for for a few months.

16. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

AlifTheUnseen

Yeah, looks to me like a thin thermal problem on the GPU which will probably return more severely. Don't think El Capitan has something to do with it… but that's just Occam's razor… might be wrong…

Baking is your best bet if you don't want to replace it with a new one…. just keep in mind that what Mic360 so eloquently described in 1.5 lines of text might be hours of work with a little bit of risk on top of it… ;-)

And of course, NOW is a bad time to buy a new iMac, as the one year old RiMacs, as well as the 2 year old iMacs might get updated as soon as October…

17. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Baking it, is only a temporary solution. The problem will return sooner or later. In my case it was pretty soon, even after it was baked by a professionel. I say, go for rechip or new card, for a more permanent solution.

18. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

So this shop have properly messed up my iMac to the point that the OS doesn't complete its install.

Where do I stand with Apple regarding a fix seeing as some other person has had their grubby mits on it?

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They'll fix it I expect (unless it's now classed as vintage and they don't keep parts anymore 5 years is about the cusp) but as it's out of warranty it'll cost almost the same amount to fix (Full motherboard replacement) as buying a new one.

20. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Take it to an Apple store.

My 2010 iMac failed in 2014 and they replaced the logic board and PSU for free.
    Then the hard drive failed earlier this year and they replaced it for free.

If you buy direct from Apple they told me they had to fix it due to the Sales of Goods Act.

21. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Thats interesting. Think I may have to atleast give it a go.

22. Isamilis macrumors 6502

I have very similar case. The VGA is replaced. Bring to 3rd parties (unofficial) service centre, total cost is about USD 180 (I lived in Indonesia).

23. MonkeySee.... thread starter macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

So the computer shop that was "fixing" my iMac got burgled at the weekend and my iMac was stolen.

:rolleyes: :(

24. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

Ouf! I hope you didn't have important data on it and/or have a good backup! Was the shop insured?

25. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Find my mac installed? You could wipe it remotely.