21.5" 2.8GHz i7 vs. 27" 3.4GHz i7

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TeeBoi, Jul 10, 2011.

1. TeeBoi macrumors newbie

Is the difference between these 2 models worth the price premium?

I will be using the iMac for image processing (multiple large files - photo merging) and short HD video clips.

I currently work on a 13" 2.3GHz MacBook Pro which sometimes lags when I have multiple images open.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-tyler

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Probably not if you stuff it with RAM, bud. Your tasks are mostly processor-intensive and if you have plenty of RAM it'll prevent page in-outs to the hdd when editing large images. The two processors aren't too far apart in terms of performance according to average GeekBench scores.

The only thing you'll lose out on is the gpu and the screen size. But if you don't game or care about the screen, not much of a problem.

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

In term of processing power, both are very similar.

I think 21.5" iMac w/ 2.8GHz i7 = 17" Macbook Pro with 2.3GHz i7, even iMac still have slightly better GPU, but less VRAM for higher resolution monitor, so .. let's just call it equal.

And in comparison to 3.4GHz i7 iMac, it's just 1 - 2% slower. So, if you need powerful computing, hi-end 21.5" is excellent. Even in some test, it could beat hi-end 27" with 3.1GHz i5. The absolute winning can only be achieved by 3.4GHz i7.

Buying hi-end 27" iMac is just like buying a Mac + decent gaming PC in one package. Which, in total could cost even more if you getting both (long term maintenance, power consumption). Yes, it's still not the best gaming PC out there, but it stands proudly against the other.

4. TeeBoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

So looks like the 2.8GHz i7 with 8gb RAM would be better than the 3.4 i7 with 4gb RAM?

Do you think I could get by with the 2.7GHz i5 with 8gb RAM?

Thanks!

-tyler

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

For what you are doing, you need the extra RAM, but please don't buy it from apple. Buy an 8GB upgrade kit for half of what apple charges, and add it for a total of 12GB. You could do just as well with either the 2.7 or 2.5GHz i5.

6. TeeBoi thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I'll probably end up with the 27" 2.7GHz i5 with a RAM upgrade. Thanks for all the input guys!

-tyler