21.5" 2013 vs 2015 for Casual Use?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmon22, Feb 21, 2016.

1. jmon22 macrumors newbie

Greetings,

Picked up my first Apple computer, mid-level 2013 21.5" iMac with the 2.7ghz quad core and wondering if I should spend a bit more and upgrade to the 2015 with the similar specs for ~$95.

I am a very casual user. Web browsing with occasional video watching mixed in. Wife does the same, plus some light photo and video editing. Is the updated processor, Thunderbolt 2 ports, and new mouse and keyboard even worth the small amount it will cost me to upgrade? Resale might also be a plus if we decide to upgrade down the line.

Thanks!

2. Yaccity macrumors member

Yaccity

3. jmon22 thread starter macrumors newbie

Non retina. Only differences would be those listed unless I missed something else.

4. Yaccity macrumors member

Yaccity

You should be perfectly fine with the 2013. Just make sure you have El Capitan installed to take advantage of Metal.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the 2013 may represent a better buy, the fusion drive has a larger amount of flash storage and its has a nice nvidia GPU

6. jmon22 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually pulled the trigger on the 2015 so I could compare the two. These are open box new so I am limited to the stock 5400 hdds. If this ever hinders my use (can't notice much of a difference so far) I will buy and load from an external ssd and still save a bundle over a configured new one. Thanks everyone!

7. Benny- macrumors regular

Benny-

I have similar requirements, Photoshop, web browsing and media consumption.
    The 2010 21.5" iMac still still suits this role perfectly, the only reason I don't use it much is that portability has become more important for me.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Congrats and good luck. There's nothing wrong with the 2015 model, though I do think overall the 2013 is a nice computer.

9. Dr@gonXP macrumors newbie

Dr@gonXP

I have a 2013 iMac, 2.9 Ghz, Nvidia Graphics, 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD blade for Causal Use and it works perfectly for me.