21.5" and 27" cooling..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chris1987, Oct 22, 2012.

1. chris1987 macrumors member

Hi, just wondering if there are any benefits in getting a 27" over a 21.5" apart from the evident performance boost and increased screen real estate.

What exactly is taking up all the space in the 27"? It has the exact same components as the 21.5" model yet it's longer, taller and deeper ultimately because of the screen.

So, is it a possibility that the 27" benefits from more efficient cooling? Could it ultimately be more reliable in the long run and less prone to natural issues to AIO's?

Cheers! :D

2. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

I have several 20" iMacs and have enjoyed writing documents on them. I just bought a Mac Pro with 27" Apple Cinema Display at work and it's glorious so much easier to write documents; two A4 word documents open at the same time, cut & paste from the web really easily. I've read that serious writers prefer a big screen that can be rotated vertically but in a recent Terry Pratchett interview I noticed that he had about 4 screens plugged into his PC, wrapped around his desk. The 27" iMac would be able to drive at least 2 additional big screens - should you need that amount of real-estate.

Bigger is better:I felt like going from a medium sized 20"/21,5" screen to a 27" screen was a feeling of a 300% increase in potential productivity!!!

Cooling: my 20" iMacs have never had any cooling concerns, I have had a Macbook Pro Quad i7/GPU melt recently requiring a €496.10 new motherboard. Some people have complained that the 27" iMac CPU/GPU can overheat the screen leading to some yellow patches developing?

3. chris1987 thread starter macrumors member

You've got a Mac Pro and Cinema Display for editing Word Documents? A little overkill maybe? :cool:

Just not sure what to get.. 27" is a massive display to see 2/3 feet from. if they sold a true widescreen unit (21:9 AR):

[​IMG]

..then i'd be all over it. 27" at this distance is a little too.. vertical for me. Would literally have to move my head up to click menu options!

4. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

Yes, whilst I'm typing on Word (and I do think 6 cores @ 3.33GHz are an efficient way to deal with Microsoft software!) the machine can often be converting hundreds of BBC Freesat .ts format doctor-who episodes into AppleTV format in the background...

The MP will soon be required to be an inhouse Cloud, probably running a ubunto Cloud VM and that will eventually be more fun than Word...

5. chris1987 thread starter macrumors member

Too true. Office destroys my CPU sometimes.