21.5"... base or upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by klrobinson999, Nov 8, 2009.

1. klrobinson999 macrumors 6502

I've made my decision after seeing both the 21.5" and the 27" iMacs at Best Buy. The 27" is simply too big and I do NOT need a media center.
    However, the question then becomes, which 21.5" iMac to get, the base or the $1499 upgraded computer?
    I know the kneejerk reaction to get the upgraded model, but I'm not convinced I need it. I have considered the 3.33 Ghz upgrade, but is it even necessary? Given that I do not play games or do anything more intensive than running a browser, iTunes, and word processing at the same time, surely the base model is good enough, and I can save $300.

Convince me otherwise, please.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. iSlave macrumors 6502

Most people are saying that editing HD video requires the better graphics card, but how is that so when editing video is a 2D activity?

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I was in the same predicament as you!

However, a visit to the Apple store in Cardiff and half an hour playing about with both the 21.5" models has convinced me that the base model will suit my needs perfectly (I can always get an external HD if storage becomes an issue) and I'll be treating myself to one next month. I've been a good boy this year, santa!

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Depends on how intensive your editing is. If it's something with iMovie, GPU will be idling because it can't take advantage of it but if it's more professional like something with Final Cut Studio, dedicated GPU may help, especially with Motion because it doesn't even work with 9400M.

Anyway, OP didn't even say he will be doing video editing, just browsing, iTunes and word processing so no need for dedicated GPU

6. MacKiddyWiddy macrumors 6502

the base is more then satisfactory, games like world of warcraft dont need much spec and video editing, unless you do it verry very often, the base will be fine for little fun edits... i myself have a base 20" imac and do a bit of HD biking video edits and i have no problems... just takes a while to export[​IMG]

7. boston44 macrumors 6502

Don't pay extra, the base will be fine for your needs.