21.5" display brightness question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bkxmnr, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bkxmnr macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

Hello, just picked up a new 21.5" iMac. The display brightness slider is as high as possible. Should I be worried about this? Do these displays get dimmer over the years? Thanks,

2. Sammy Cat macrumors member

The brightness will out last the computer. No need to worry.

3. Vylen macrumors 65816

Yes - all displays eventually lose their brightness.

But LED displays are meant to sustain their brightness for longer.

You shouldn't really have to worry though - unless you leave your iMac on 24/7 with brightness full - there shouldn't be any problems :p

4. Iamthinking macrumors regular

I've noticed in addition to the yellow tinge, dust particles, grey banding, backlight bleed, and high-pitched whine issues that plague the 21.5" imac that we can add "brightness" to the list. Some imacs that I am getting are about 30% duller than others. For example, I have one brand new imac with slider all the way up next to another with slider at 70% and the one with the lower slider setting is STILL brighter than the one at 100%. If your screen seems dull, it probably is. Try ringing up Apple and see if you can get a replacement if it bothers you.

Good luck.

5. Bkxmnr thread starter macrumors regular

Bkxmnr

Apple issued a fix for the 21.5" displays. I turned my brightness way down.

6. pixel-vs-pencil macrumors member

I have to agree. My 27" i7 imac arrived and though I have no other screen to physically compare it to, I know that it is duller than the previous i5 I had a few weeks back. With the previous generation i5 I had turned the brightness down to about 40% until it was comfortable to look at. On this new machine the brightness is at 100% and it is easily comfortable, and anything lower seems dull. Should I be worried?