21.5, fans won't keep up with heat load :(

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aven SkyGazer, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Aven SkyGazer macrumors regular

so as my heat load rises, my fans won't keep up. my temps have risen and my fans just stay at the default 1000, 1100, 1200 rpm. what gives? I tried an SMC restart but I'm still getting the same problem.

now my iMacs back is up towards a window where I introduce some cold winter air into the flow of things. i've also installed SMCFanControl to manipulate stuff myself (im also wondering what are ideal fan speeds for idling/browsing/gaming). This is doing me just fine, but part of me is concerned that I am putting a needless load on the fans.

dont know what to do. I am nowhere near an apple store while im here in armed forces Europe and the base exchange doesn't honor refunds on apple products. an apple support rep instructed that if I choose to send it in, it would have to go to a US address first and then forwarded to them. They do not accept anything coming from overseas locations, not even APO addresses. my 14-day refund window would go bust while it's in transit.

At a loss as to what to do.

2. All Taken macrumors 6502a

What sort of temperatures are you seeing? I was always under the conception that apple hardware would shut down if the temps were to high... on a separate note, apple have always been very good in my own experience at recording the date of the incident so in theory they will see on their end that the problem was acknowledged and if the item is received after the 14 days it would be acceptable as it was recorded within the 14 days.

Give apple a call and confirm it with them but it shouldn't be a problem.