21.5 Geekbench results

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applelicious, Nov 17, 2009.

1. applelicious macrumors member

Hello everybody

I have been lurking on this forum for some time now and found loads of very useful information in the world of apple products. So I just wanted to say thanks to those who contributed to this great forum. Now...

I finally decided (I think I did :rolleyes:) to get imac 21.5 base model ($1,199). This will be my first mac and I am very excited to switch. Reason why I decided to go with base model is because I think it will serve my computing needs very well. I mainly use computer for web browsing, pics, light video editing (limited to Imovie only), itunes, etc. So no graphic intense operations.

Currently I have 4 year old laptop. Last night I ran some geekbench results and got 1,800. What I would be interested in is seeing some base model scores. I tried to search, but could not get any results. If anyone out there be so kind to post some links to such info or maybe post these scores here so I can judge what kind of an upgrade I am looking at with my future new toy. Please forgive me if this kind of a thread had been posted already. I just could not find it that easily.

Thank you everyone
    Applelicious

2. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I actually just got back from best buy playing with the new imacs
    I downloaded geekbench an ran it on the base 21.5 and got a score of 4308

and then an employee saw me and started yelling at me for downloading stuff lol

and as he was yelling I walked over to the 27 and did the same lol I think it got 4800??? not sure though..

3. applelicious thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for posting that.

It seems like I am looking at at least twice the power of my current laptop :eek:

4. applelicious thread starter macrumors member

and as he was yelling I walked over to the 27 and did the same lol QUOTE]

:) haha

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's because it was 32-bit Geekbench. I just Geekbenched my iMac and got 3900 with 32-bit and 4653 with 64-bit, so that's where the difference came

6. applelicious thread starter macrumors member

what are the benefits of 64 bit vs 32? Do apple application support 64 bit because it seems like it is better to run them in 64 bit. Am I looking at this right?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Basically, 64-bit can just take the full advantage of all components. Wikipedia