21.5 High vs 27 low display capabilities

Discussion in 'iMac' started by WilliamDu, Dec 1, 2012.

1. WilliamDu macrumors regular

Since the processors in these two stock iMacs are identical, but the displays far different in size, will the display capabilities of the 27 suffer from having less core power to handle the higher pixel count despite the different gpu's:confused:

2. MacFoodPoisoner macrumors regular

not at all, go for it, the 21.5" is a rubbish deal all things considered, should have been base model with fusion (even as low as 32gb flash) for that price. The 21.5" panel from lg is 2-3 years old and it's nothing to write home about, while the 27" has higher dpi (although that will render the font smaller and be a problem what with os x lacking customization there) and is better value overall.

3. WilliamDu thread starter macrumors regular

Display Comparisons

Thanks for reply, MacPoisoner, and see my reply to your "Display and Small Rant" thread.

I'm concerned about dpi on planning to get 27" for use on massive Excel spreads for my retirement investment analysis and IRA management as well as screen glare.

At 81 year old eyes, and even with dedicated computer viewing distance perscription glasses, having some problem scanning across spreads and hoping to increase font size while still maintaining large chunks of spreads on screen together with larger screen than the 21 on my G5 Powermac. Wife's 2010 iMac has convinced me it's time to abandon my old boat anchor. TurboTax has also thrown integral use on Powermac PC under the bus.

Also concerned about ability to meld with display of flight simulators as I did with the real thing in the glory days before Navy decided I was too old to fly after playing in the clouds between 1946 and 1969.

Remarks elsewhere about inability to Bootcamp on 3TB or 3TB Fusion to use simulators of concern. My 28 years background with Apple and most recent observation not providing confidence they might fix this situation.

XPlane takes big looks at entire flight situation and runs on Macs, but some others require Windows. Need 3TB for substantial iPhoto and iTunes files but can probably do very well without Fusion if that matters with Bootcamp or other methods of using Windows for sims:confused:

Still no rush to buy while 27" iMac bugs identified by eager beavers and hopefully fixed in next few months, but Apple commitment to the platform not encouraging. Never buy (or fly) anything until serial numbers pass four digits.

Been computer user and programmed since 1960, but never involved with internal mechanisms, so defer to your knowledge thereof:)