Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickpouellette

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2013
I have two 21.5” iMacs (Mid 2011) and I’d like to use one as an external display. I have a mini displayport to mini displayport cable connecting them. I’ve read that this only works with the 27” iMac, but have also read it works with 21.5” iMacs with Thunderbolt ports (which my iMacs have). Either way, my second iMac isn’t being recognized by the other iMac. It may be because my cable is mdp to mdp and not thunderbolt to thunderbolt. I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on both computers. Any suggestions?

diddi969

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Germany
I have two 21.5” iMacs (Mid 2011) and I’d like to use one as an external display. I have a mini displayport to mini displayport cable connecting them. I’ve read that this only works with the 27” iMac, but have also read it works with 21.5” iMacs with Thunderbolt ports (which my iMacs have). Either way, my second iMac isn’t being recognized by the other iMac. It may be because my cable is mdp to mdp and not thunderbolt to thunderbolt. I'm running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on both computers. Any suggestions?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3775

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.