21.5" iMac in Apple Store

Discussion in 'iMac' started by APPLE-FANATIC, Dec 1, 2012.

1. APPLE-FANATIC macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

Hey guys,

Just my opinion, but I am so glad I went with the 21.5" iMac vs. the 27", the 27" would SO overpower my home office. The 21.5" is huge (to me anyway) and is just the perfect size. The Apple store was CRAZY busy here in Dallas, TX. It is a nice machine, its super fast and just beautiful! When you see 21.5" its like uh yea, thats sooooo tiny. Macs are different, with the housing around the screen, I would never guess it was 21.5. Maybe I will change my mind in 3-5 years, but just glad I maxed out the 21.5". Again the 27" would cause blindness, LOL! All of you gamers out there, I see why you would want the 27", its a nice machine for gaming :)

2. bobright macrumors 601

I don't get the people who say things like the 27" will cause blindness, isn't bigger better and the 21" on the other hand would look teeny tiny and cause eye strain?

BTW can't you zoom a little bit? new soon to be Mac owner here so not familiar with them

3. Tommeh macrumors member

The resolution is relatively the same on the 27" and 21,5". Everything will appear the same size, the 21,5" just shows less.

4. CaptMike macrumors regular

CaptMike

While I agree that the 21.5 would be the perfect size for my office space, I cannot get it with any RAM above 16GB OR I cannot get it with i7 AND the upgraded GPU

5. APPLE-FANATIC thread starter macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

The blindness is a joke, in others words, for ME, its too big. For everyone else I am sure its the perfect size, no harm intended. If I had the space for it to where I would not sit so close to it, I for sure would be all over the 27" :D

----------

Yes, nothing above 16gb or GPU upgrade, but the i7 is available in the higher end 21.5"-I upgraded the CPU when I ordered.

6. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

So what did you end up getting? I ordered a high-end 27" with the 680MX, but I'm still on the fence about the 21.5". The 21.5" is also perfect for my desk setup and the 27" is fairly large, maybe too large. I may cancel the 27" and order the 21.5", but I really want the 680MX for gaming.

7. CaptMike macrumors regular

CaptMike

Higher end 21.5 i7 YES but not the upgradable CPU ....that is not available

----------

I'm still undecided at this point....I can't have my cake and eat it too....oh wait....I can, but I have to get the top end 27" to get it.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

With that logic a 50" LCD would be perfect for the kitchen countertop.

Viewing distance is a science. If you put a 27" on a desk where it will only sit back 15" from the edge the screen will be too big to have any useful perspective. OTOH if you put a 21" on a desk and set it at the back edge 30" from your eyeballs it will look small. Appropriate screen size is relative to how far away your eyeballs are.

9. bobright, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2012

bobright macrumors 601

I know that but come on were not talking that big, if even for a HDTV at say 32" to 37" unless ur rooms the size of a prison cell you're most likely better off going with the 37" and it wouldn't cause eye strain

10. Siderz macrumors 6502a

Wait, you managed to go to the Apple Store and get a maxed out 21.5"?

If so, I regret ordering online -_-

I have a while to wait...

11. APPLE-FANATIC thread starter macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

S*** I wish, no the store only had the base and high-end model w/o BTO's. I am like everyone else, had to order online. Trust me, if I found out they had a maxed out 21.5" in stores, I would not be able to hit cancel fast enough, lol :D

12. Siderz macrumors 6502a

Oh right, so you were just taking a look at the iMac then?

I was out with friends today and wanted to go to the Apple Store at some point with them but they didn't want to. Still haven't seen the new iMac :/

13. APPLE-FANATIC thread starter macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

Exactly, I just had to see it before the scheduled delivery date. You should go check it out, its a beautiful machine :)

14. bobright macrumors 601

Are there any Fusion drives on display? Dont care to see a base model

15. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

You need some new friends - with different taste.

j/k

16. Siderz macrumors 6502a

They did the same when the iPhone 5 came out...that time we were literally a few hundred feet away from the Apple Store -_-

This time though we'd have to get a train a couple of stops. Don't know why they didn't want to see it, they thought I was taking the piss when I measured ~5mm using my fingers.

17. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

They're PC therefore don't like Apple :cool:

18. APPLE-FANATIC thread starter macrumors 6502a

APPLE-FANATIC

I was hopeful, but, no :(

19. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The 27" is big. I wouldn't want it on my desk. It would be the opposite of productive. Personally I'm better off with a dual monitor 21" set up.

20. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

21. rotorblade69 macrumors regular

Don't worry "apple fanatic" I am the same way.

I would love a 27" but mainly for the 680mx Graphics. But the 27" is huge. Heck even the 670 as BTO in the 21" would be nice and I would spend the extra coin for it. If I was a big into video editing or dealing with photographs and aperture a lot a 27" would be good to have.
    But if I'm running a lot of video then I would need a stand alone Mac Pro and would have a 27" thunderbolt display anyway.

My thoughts on the new imac are:

1 COOL SWEET
    2 OK no Optical Drive Expected that.
    3 WTF NO BTO 670 or 680 for the 21"
    4 Well I guess its going to be a 21" for me.

22. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I went and looked at the base 21.5 in store today, and definitely got the spinning beach ball in virtually everything I did. I blame the hard drive.