21.5" iMac - is it possible to dual boot Tiger and Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by agmetal, Dec 3, 2009.

1. agmetal macrumors member

I just ordered a new iMac and I'll be upgrading from a 1GHz TiBook with Tiger on it. I have some important music software that I'm not 100% sure will work with Snow Leopard, but my understanding is that it's already ok for Universal Binary...so I had the thought that maybe I could put Tiger on the iMac and dual boot. Can I do that? I've never dealt with a dual-boot system before, other than a couple times when I played around with Classic Mode when I still had Jaguar and/or Panther.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Most probably not, as Macs coming with Mac OS X 10.6.2 can have any Mac OS X version below 10.6.2 installed, so no 10.6.1 or 10.5 or even 10.4.

It also would create havoc, as Tiger has no drivers for your hardware in it, and Apple doesn't release 10.4.x drivers for machines that came with 10.6.2.

But maybe there is a workaround.

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You can have different OSes on different drives. For example an external HD.

You MIGHT be able to do it on even internal partitions as well. I haven't tried that one though, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10.5.8 is possible but even it has some issues with running on the new 21.5" iMacs.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Nope.

Retail Tiger disks are for PPC machines.
    Intel Tiger disks are machine specific and definitely none were made for the 21.5" imac.

6. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

What music software are you using? Maybe someone here is also using it, and can tell you if it works on Snow Leopard.

7. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

You can try it, but I would expect a kernal panic within seconds of starting up from a Tiger disc.

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

What he said.

Even trying a Leopard Retail Disc wouldn't work as those new iMacs never shipped with Leopard therefore the discs don't have the proper drivers.

I personally wish that Apple would allow virtualization of Tiger/Leopard on OS X itself. I wouldn't mind booting into Tiger every now and then for nostalgic reasons; haha, I'm sure there are practical reasons though.

9. dashcs macrumors regular

that wont work.
    Even if you had the retail version of tiger.

You computer came out with snow leopard,snow leopard has the drivers for the new iMac.

Tiger has no drivers for your iMac,it won't work.

If you iMac came out with 10.4,then yeah you can dual boot the machine with 10.6

10. agmetal thread starter macrumors member

Digital Performer 5, Logic Express 7, Reason 3.0, and Finale 2007. I have a thread on that topic in the Digital Audio section, but haven't gotten any actual answers yet.

11. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

What Consultant said.

Somehow I missed that this is the new iMac. I thought the system already had Tiger and you wanted to upgrade the OS but keep a working copy of the old one on it.

:eek:

D'oh.

12. Yamcha macrumors 68000

There is a work around, you could modify the OSInstall file, and install Tiger on any machine..

13. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I would try reading (or posting) in the forums at MacOSX Audio - they have sections for most apps and get a bit more traffic for specialty audio apps than you might get here (and maybe already have answers for each of those apps).....oh yeah!