Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I'm putting this in here as well as in the MBP section too as I'm looking for opinions from both sides

I bought a 27" iMac back in Feb and I'm selling it as unfortunately I'm just too close to it on my desk (home office) and it's doing my neck and eyes in; it's about 30-40cm from my face etc

I'm wondering whether to go for a new MBP or 21.5" iMac; as the iMac, spec'd up with 16GB RAM and 256/512GB SSD still comes in cheaper than the MBP and obviously with the 4k screen, over here in the UK.

However; I do like the idea of the portability of the MBP for when I go out and meet with clients, as I'm thinking of selling my 12.9" iPad Pro too; it just doesn't get used that much currently (would probably buy a normal iPad at some point further down the line though, mainly for reading magazines etc).

Has anyone dropped from a 27" iMac (or even a 21.5" iMac) to the 15.4" MBP and glad they did it (or any regrets etc)?

I don't need massive built in storage either, as my iTunes is on an external 3TB USB 3 HDD as is my TimeMachine and obviously I'd get one of the Thunderbolt/USB C adapters to allow me to re-connect these, as well as using the Magic QWERTY/numeric keyboard and Trackpad 2 etc

Cheers for any input :)

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
I'm putting this in here as well as in the MBP section too as I'm looking for opinions from both sides

I bought a 27" iMac back in Feb and I'm selling it as unfortunately I'm just too close to it on my desk (home office) and it's doing my neck and eyes in; it's about 30-40cm from my face etc

I'm wondering whether to go for a new MBP or 21.5" iMac; as the iMac, spec'd up with 16GB RAM and 256/512GB SSD still comes in cheaper than the MBP and obviously with the 4k screen, over here in the UK.

However; I do like the idea of the portability of the MBP for when I go out and meet with clients, as I'm thinking of selling my 12.9" iPad Pro too; it just doesn't get used that much currently (would probably buy a normal iPad at some point further down the line though, mainly for reading magazines etc).

Has anyone dropped from a 27" iMac (or even a 21.5" iMac) to the 15.4" MBP and glad they did it (or any regrets etc)?

I don't need massive built in storage either, as my iTunes is on an external 3TB USB 3 HDD as is my TimeMachine and obviously I'd get one of the Thunderbolt/USB C adapters to allow me to re-connect these, as well as using the Magic QWERTY/numeric keyboard and Trackpad 2 etc

Cheers for any input :)
Just justify your usage then people can advise you.

Last edited:

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
I've no idea what you're trying to say; but thanks...

Maybe re-read what you've written and add in the missing parts/grammar? :)
i just clear it up.It all depend on your usage (grammar not important ). For me,i just a software developer whom remote using vnc when travel.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I use my Mac for standard tasks (web browsing, MS Office, iTunes, Youtube etc); I'm not a dev (although that's what my business deals with - I recruit into the Digital arena (my clients are all dev agencies, digital marketing/PR agencies etc)

So I don't use it for any editing etc

hassel

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2016
Narnia
After testing and using an ipad 12inch I would never get a macbook again, If I was you an iMac and a ipad are a fantastic combination.

JimWPVB

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2012
I have both. It depends on the size screen you need and your portability needs. Both are excellent machines.

Reactions: danb1979

crashwins

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009
I do photo/video editing and I'm thinking about going down from 27 to 21 inches...But I tried a Macbook 15 last and was immediately like "ack what did I do?!"

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I have both. It depends on the size screen you need and your portability needs. Both are excellent machines.

This is it; I don't 'need' the 27" screen size, nor really the 21.5" screen size

Going back to working off my 1st ever MBP I never had any issues at all and on a decent stand; it was great to work at in all honesty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.