21.5" Imac or 15" MBP for College

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BlackPhoenix92, May 11, 2011.

1. BlackPhoenix92 macrumors newbie

So this is my first thread and im having a dilemma on whether to buy the imac or MBP,

so first let me start out buy saying that this computer would be for college im going to be doing alot of heavy video editing with final cut, using Photoshop CS5, doing 2d and a little bit of 3d animation as well. I wouldn't see myself taking my laptop to college often if i do buy one but it'd be nice to have portability where as with the Imac it would seem great to have the bigger screen and a little better performance. just cant seem to find the one better for me. Which would be better for what im gonna be doing in college?

anyway here are the specs of the two

Imac
    21.5"
    2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    8GB Ram
    2TB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5

or

Macbook Pro
    15"
    2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    8GB Ram
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1GB GDDR5
    750GB Serial ATA Drive
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

2. Btrthnezr3 macrumors 6502a

Btrthnezr3

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you don't need portability, I'd go with the iMac. I didn't really use my laptop at school either and so to me a desktop makes more sense. Especially the value you get with the iMac.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd say MBP. You may not use it in class, but for working on projects, its great to have a computer you can move around, especially with group work. Plus you can couch surf, etc. If you would like the extra screen space, you can always buy an external monitor as well to go with it.

4. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Bringing it to peoples houses for group work, having it in between classes to work do homework, using it around the house, taking it on trips...you may not physically use it IN the classroom, but the other benefits are priceless for a college student. I'd go 13" though.

5. Duluth Baptist macrumors member

Tough question. I'm a big desktop guy--I hate laptop keyboards and feel like I'm paying same or more money for less just so I can move it. I used an iMac desktop through college. And, no question, the extra power for the editing will be handy.

But...

You'll be surprised how handy it is to be able to take your computer somewhere. Big project to work on? You can work on it between classes, or at lunch. Presentation to do? (You will take other classes, after all) bring the MBP.

Question is, what level of iMac are you getting? You might be able to get a lower-end iMac *and* a cheap Macbook for a similar price to a solid MBP. Or an iPad, or whatever. Then you have both.

6. aloshka macrumors 65816

I always recommend MBP + external monitor with keyboard. It really is the best of both worlds.

7. bri1212 macrumors 6502

For College you want the MBP. You get the processor speed and the portability

8. dizzy130 macrumors member

Definitely MbP. You'll want to bring it with you to work on group projects with classmates, and to the library or student center to study for a change of scenery from your dorm room.