21.5 Imac questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by trans-olsx, Oct 28, 2013.

1. trans-olsx macrumors member

1) What size is the Flash of a 1TB fusion drive and what is the speed of the HD?

2) should I wait until Broadwell chips and cheaper Flash and possibly SSD DRAM in 2014 for the 21.5 which will have most of the Maverick udates figured out and everything will be thunderbolt only in order to future proof myself a little?

2. SherlockLogic macrumors newbie

The size of the SSD on all Fusion Drive sizes is 128GB

3. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

At this point it may be worth waiting until after the upcoming even in September and possibility after a much anticipated October even (not official yet). If all is quite on the iMac front by end of October, it probably will not receive an update until a few months into 2015.

Of course this is all pure speculation based off of what has happened in previous years, so YMMV!

4. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

1) 128GB of Flash, and the drives are 5400 rpm. Alone, the HDD isn't anything to talk about, but the flash makes up for it. I would personally go for 256GB pure flash and get an external HDD. It will be faster overall, and I personally like to organize my files myself.

2) Broadwell desktop chips are projected for early-mid 2015, so I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't understand what you mean by "thunderbolt only", but I don't see Apple removing USB support in the near future. If you don't need a computer now, then go ahead and "future-proof", but if you need one now, you should probably "present-proof". Look into refurbished models. You can get one at a pretty good price, and they are basically the same as new.

Matt

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

+1. I went for a 256GB SSD in my 21.5" iMac just for the sake of pure speed and reliability.