21.5" iMac, Samsung 206BW Display Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ffohwx, Dec 27, 2010.

1. ffohwx macrumors member

I searched all 14 pages of results, and this was the only relevant thread I could find: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=684582
    However, it was not my same problem. So here it goes...

I just hooked my Samsung SyncMaster 206BW to my 21.5" iMac using the Mini DisplayPort --> VGA adapter. I am running OS X 10.6.5, and it is only seeing it as a "VGA Display" and gives me 1280x1024 @85 Hz, and 1600x1200 @60 Hz as the two "best" display modes available. The monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050 @60 Hz. The color also looks like crap, and there is no Samsung SyncMaster 206BW color profile to choose from the Colors menu pane.

I see none of these issues with my Samsung SyncMaster P2470HD hooked up exactly the same way, with the same exact cable and adapter. The iMac sees it as exactly what it is, with a resolution of 1920x1080 @60Hz with a Samsung SyncMaster P2470HD color profile to choose.

I have tried multiple reboots and unplugging and replugging the monitor (none of which was necessary for the P2470HD). Any ideas?

P.S. Here's what System Profiler has to say on the matter:

iMac:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Connection Type: DisplayPort
    VGA Display:
    Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Rotation: Supported
    Adapter Type: Mini DisplayPort To VGA Adapter
    Adapter Firmware Version: 1.03

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

It's an older monitor and it looks like it's just not very well supported, as even the manual recommends connecting it via D-Sub, (ie analog only). So, it's just a crummy monitor.

What you can try though is something like SwitchResX to force it into a resolution. That's probably all you can do. It's ultimately Samsung's fault.

3. ffohwx thread starter macrumors member

I had a feeling that may be it. I still remember everybody oohing and ahhing over it when I brought it home, too :rolleyes: Alas, that's the world of technology. I just got a new desk for Christmas, and I have room beside the Mac for a secondary monitor now, so I thought I'd give it a try. With Expose and Spaces, the need for a second monitor really isn't there like it was when Winblows was still my primary OS. Thanks to the one wire design of the iMac, I just hauled it across the room to hook it up to the 24" to test.:D I had read about SwitchResX elsewhere, but it's not important enough to me for the $18 to be worth it. So, I shall retire the 206BW to other purposes. Perhaps to my Linux box? I usually run it headless, but what the heck. I have room for it now.;)

Thanks for your reply and help!:cool:

4. dmunoz macrumors newbie

The problem is the VGA connector

I had the same problem but the solution was change from VGA to DVI connector.

Even that, the Samsumg SyncMaster DVI Female port have a problem: The port is too close to the Monitor stand, so when the cable arrived I had to cut one of the screws to connect the MAC with the Monitor port :(.