21.5" iMac vs. 13" MacBook Pro Perfomance - Need help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SaschaW, Jul 22, 2011.

1. SaschaW macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    i'm looking forward to buy a new mac tomorrow (after 2 years it about time). I focused on the basic 21.5" iMac or the basic 13" MacBook Pro.

Is there a huge perfomance gap between those two? i guess the imac is better, because of the graphic card (512 instead of 256) and ghz?

I need a new mac for example to cut and render videos (imovie only), mobility is not important and i want to play starcraft 2. iam aware of the fact, that the mac isnt a gaming maschine but its just starcraft 2. :D

Thanks in advance.

2. lomby macrumors regular

for your needs definitely get the iMac it is quad core and has a lot better graphics than the hd 3000.

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

If mobility isn't important, get the iMac. The HD 3000 is horrible for SC. The iMac will be much nutter at video editing as well.

4. oklaonion macrumors member

oklaonion

The iMac will give you much better bang for your buck performance wise. But how important is mobility for you? The MBP will run SC2 just fine, but you better be okay with medium settings tops. My 2009 model runs it on low. I used to need the mobility but now that it's stranded on a desk I wish I had an iMac for the performance and much bigger, higher resolution screen.

5. SaschaW thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. Mobility is not important to me, because i will buy an iPad in the future. Reserved the 21.5" iMac today. Looking forward to pick it up on Monday. This will be my first desktop mac since the g4. its about time! :D

6. HBOC macrumors 68020

I had an early 08' 15" MBP replaced under AppleCare for a new 2.2ghz Quad i7 MBP. I sold that (i regret it, but oh well) and bought a base 13" MBP and saved the extra cash.

I quickly found that the base model didn't fit my needs. I returned the MBP for the new base iMac 21" and could not be happier. Yes I lose portability, but th ease iMac is almost as quick as the QC 15" MBP. I have only 4GB RAM in it right now, but need to get 8GB soon.

Still the iMac is the most portable desktop out there, so if needle, you could take it with you. I see people in Starbucks all the time with iMacs doing work with others. Best bang for the buck is the iMac no doubt! Also can put 32GB RAM in there I think..4 slots 4X8...

7. GR-Film macrumors newbie

Hi..
    I already have an MBP 13" i use Final Cut Pro X for editing. But it's really slow when it comes to render and playing the movie. So i was thinking of buying an iMac 21,5".
    Is it worth the money, when i already have a MBP 13" ?

:apple:

8. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Glad you decided to go with the iMac, great choice for your needs :D

Something to keep in mind to, if you want to jump the performance up. Buy some third party RAM (4-8GB would do) Will help run video rendering better, allow for SC2 to run smoother and just give you an overall better experience. All for less than $100 and 5 minutes of work.