21.5 inch + Fusion Drive v.s 27 inch Upgrade-ability!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by I'm a Newbie, Nov 28, 2012.

1. I'm a Newbie macrumors newbie

Hi guys, the title says it all really.

Firstly, I just wanted to say I started a thread on here a while ago and have only just been able to get back on (travelling). I really appreciate all the people who took the time to respond; it means a lot.

But moving onto the subject at hand.

I'm struggling to make a decision, buy the 21.5 inch with a fusion drive OR buy a 27 inch, with the 7200RPM HD and upgradable RAM options.

The machine will mainly be used for video editing, not really heavy stuff, just 4/5 minute game reviews. I mean is it worth forgetting the Fusion Drive all together and upgrading to an i7 on the smaller unit?

My budget is fairly tight and the builds I'm looking at (thread title) work out at essentially the same price.

Honestly I don't really have the space for the 27 inch but is it the best option?

And, what would be more beneficial for the smaller model, the Fusion Drive or i7 upgrade?

Thoughts?

P.S. Just to jam a couple of more questions in here what is the biggest factor when editing video, CPU (can the i5 even handle it?), RAM, or HD speed (how big a benefit will the Fusion Drive provide?)?

Thanks for reading my monster post and I apologise for so many questions but reading through the internet has given me so many conflicting answers.

Cheers :)

2. zedsdead macrumors 68040

As nice as it is to have flash, it is not a necessity.

For Video Editing, the files will not all fit on the SSD partition anyway of the fusion, and the extra RAM, screen real estate, and better video card will be more beneficial.