21.5 Inch iMac (2011 Model) vs Refurbished 27 Inch iMac (2010 Model)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sstryker, Aug 29, 2011.

1. sstryker, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

sstryker macrumors newbie

I am looking to get my first apple computer. I am a proud owner of the iphone 4 and iPad2. I decided on an iMac because it would be more suitable for my needs since portability is not that big of an issue for me since I now I have an iPad. I am now in a dilemma on which iMac to get. Its between the new 2011 entry level 21.5 inch iMac and a refurbished 2010 model 27 inch iMac thru Apple's website.

Here are the specs:

2011 Model

$1,149 with Student Discount
    21.5-inch: 2.5GHz
    2.5GHz Intel Quad-Core i5
    1920 x 1080 resolution
    4GB (two 2GB) memory
    500GB hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD 6750M with 512MB

Refurbished iMac

$1,269 online refurbished
    27 Inch: 3.2 GHZ Intel Core i3 Processor
    Originally released July 2010
    27-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics with 512MB memory
    Built-in iSight camera

What is everyone's thoughts? It would be nice to have a 27 inch screen to watch movies on, but the new model is dual core and has a faster processor. However I really am not doing any intensive video editing or anything, will just be using for school, web browsing, watch videos, run windows 7 simultaneously, play some games (i.e. call of duty, left 4 dead, etc...).

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

From your described usage, you will be better off with the newer 21.5" iMac.

3. thebarber macrumors newbie

Doesn’t the new iMac have the thunderbolt port in it? I think it’s best to put your money into the new technology. Like you I would prefer a 27'' inch screen but the fact of the matter is that you’ll be sitting right in front of the display most of the time. Right? Unless you will be using the wireless keyboard and sitting quite a distance away from the display, I don’t see a good enough reason to get the 27’’. I wish I had your dilemma. I have an iPhone and a white MacBook & would rather have an iPad and an iMac. Either way i’m sure you’ll be happy. Good luck,

Peter

4. sstryker thread starter macrumors newbie

I ended up going with the new 21.5 inch iMac 2011 model. Went to the store after reading your guy's comments and deliberating for a bit about it. I am actually typing from it right now. Love it. Your right, the 27 inch screen would be way too big considering I would only be a foot from the screen.