21.5 max out or 5k m290x fusion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Bigggalll, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Bigggalll macrumors newbie

Bigggalll

Hi guys

Another one undecided here!

For the long run (5+ years), witch one?

I know there will be probably a 4k 21.5 but i need one now. If the new one will but out next 9 September, I'll just return it ;)

Thanks

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

More like October will be the refresh. If it were me I would buy the one with the larger size screen.

3. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

As someone that already owns a 5k iMac, I would recommend the 5k iMac. :)

4. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Which would you rather have in 5 years, a 1080p screen or a 5k one?

Think for the future. You'll rarely regret getting the more high tech thing.

5. Malus120 macrumors regular

THIS.

If you're going to be keeping the machine over the long haul and there's no reason you NEED the smaller form factor, there's really no reason to buy a "top end" 21 inch iMac right now.

Once you add the i7 and a fusion drive (or SSD) to the high end 21" iMac, you're already at $1899, which is within spitting distance of the baseline retina iMac at $1999, and not even that far off from the M290X model at $2299.

Going for either retina iMac gets you:
    1. (Obviously) A beautiful, large 27" 5K retina screen that is a joy even once you've "gotten used to it."

2. A Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster GPU
    Even the M290 in the baseline 5K iMac will absolutely destroy the Geforce 750M, while the M290X will make it look like an absolute dog.

3. A faster CPU for anything that can't utilise hyper threading (and in the case of the M290X model, most likely a faster CPU even in tasks that can), and the option (in the M290X model) for a CPU (the 4790K) that will be MUCH faster than the 21" top end 3.1Ghz CPU.

There's really just no reason to go for the 21" iMac right now unless you absolutely need the size, in which case even if you " can't wait" you should.

6. Bigggalll thread starter macrumors newbie

Bigggalll

Couldn't ask for a better answer!!! You confirm what i think, I'll pull the trigger ;-)

7. ivoruest macrumors 6502

ivoruest

Go for the 5k. The screen real estate is amazing. Plus you get better specs (not necessarily the best/fastest/latest) but very good nevertheless and enough for most of the task you might want to do.

8. Bigggalll thread starter macrumors newbie

Bigggalll

also I'll go with 256ssd over 1fd since I already got a 3tb usb3. I think (and hope) I'll be ok with the "small" space, here's the config I'll put in place:

- ssd: os, bootcamp, lightroom app, photoshop app and recent (working) raw/jpeg files
    - external drive: media files (older raw/jpeg, music, video)