Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RJZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Hello all this is my first post. I am in the market for a new computer to utilize Logic Pro X, Abelton light, Pro tools, etc. I am currently using a MBP but I need something with more speed/memory that is a dedicated studio machine (that will probably see other light use on web browsing, solitaire, and what not). There have been a million threads on the 21.5” vs. the 27” but my main thing is would the extra screen real-estate be worth sacrificing the SDD I could afford on a 21.5” model? I’ve looked at my finances and that is what it comes down too. I can either get a fully maxed out 21.5” or an i7 27inch w/ 16gb of ram but keeping the HDD. Basically when using heavy applications like logic or pro tools will I miss the SDD or the screen real-estate more. My MBP has the SDD so would an imac with an HDD be slower than my MBP? My 15” retina is also definitely a bear to work on for long production and recording sessions because of screen size. I love my MBP and I plan on keeping it for many years and it will serve as an idea machine as well as its main use which is for school. So whats my best option? please and thankyou!

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hello all this is my first post. I am in the market for a new computer to utilize Logic Pro X, Abelton light, Pro tools, etc. I am currently using a MBP but I need something with more speed/memory that is a dedicated studio machine (that will probably see other light use on web browsing, solitaire, and what not). There have been a million threads on the 21.5” vs. the 27” but my main thing is would the extra screen real-estate be worth sacrificing the SDD I could afford on a 21.5” model? I’ve looked at my finances and that is what it comes down too. I can either get a fully maxed out 21.5” or an i7 27inch w/ 16gb of ram but keeping the HDD. Basically when using heavy applications like logic or pro tools will I miss the SDD or the screen real-estate more. My MBP has the SDD so would an imac with an HDD be slower than my MBP? My 15” retina is also definitely a bear to work on for long production and recording sessions because of screen size. I love my MBP and I plan on keeping it for many years and it will serve as an idea machine as well as its main use which is for school. So whats my best option? please and thankyou!

You're going to miss the SSD more, because the SSD is magnitudes faster.

It's worth sacrificing the screen estate, because the 21.5" i7-4770S performs almost similarly to the i7-4771 used in the 27" non-retina.

In terms of usability, an SSD Mac will always perform faster even if all other specs are the same.

RJZ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2014
Hmm I was kinda leaning that way. I'm sure once I have all that power I'll be fine. Plus I'll still have loads more screen than I have on my MacBook! Maybe if I really miss the screen-estate I can look into a thunderbolt or maybe save for for acouple years and sell my 21.5 and get a maxed out retina iMac.

I'm also really hoping 16gb ram is good enough for awhile since there's no upgrading.

----------

Also thanks for your input it's much appreciated

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hmm I was kinda leaning that way. I'm sure once I have all that power I'll be fine. Plus I'll still have loads more screen than I have on my MacBook! Maybe if I really miss the screen-estate I can look into a thunderbolt or maybe save for for acouple years and sell my 21.5 and get a maxed out retina iMac.

I'm also really hoping 16gb ram is good enough for awhile since there's no upgrading.

----------

Also thanks for your input it's much appreciated

16GB is good enough for quite a long time.

Unless you constantly run VMs or edit 4K video, you won't really need 32GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.