21,5 mid 2010 iMac , more Ram or not ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by franzmueller, Nov 18, 2012.

1. franzmueller, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

franzmueller macrumors regular

Hi

Here´s the story ...

Bought an 3,2 GHZ mid 2010 iMac to replace my 2008 2,4 GHz Macbook and I thought that because of the better processor it will run better .... or not ?

The case is that since several months , I have the feeling that my iMac is running really , really crappy slow and I was seriously thinking of upgrading the Ram to 8 GB ( it has now 4 GB stock ) but then , I received an e-mail from Apple that I should change my Harddrive.

Could be that the drive is the cause that my overall computer runs so crappy ?

What do I mean with crappy ?

Good question ... like opening iPhoto and it takes easily 30 seconds to startup or Pages ... it takes 15 or so seconds to open .

When I want to play an Itunes movie rental , it can take up to 10 seconds to start playing ( movie has been fully downloaded into my computer ) or when I push pause and when I want to play again the " ball " starts spinning for up to 30 seconds until something happens ..this drives my wife crazy each time ....

Using Calendar fullscreen is nice but when I perform several changes in my appointments it takes ages to react ....

Annoying :mad:

Could be a the faulty drive the reason of all this ?? Its only half full ...

Should I upgrade the RAM ? It never hurt to have more RAM right ?

By the way ....I´m running 10.8.2 ...

The superdrive stopped working several months ago but I have a hard time deciding if I want to spend something like 130 euros for something I barely use anymore ....

Anyway .... your advices are welcome ;)

Regards from Spain !!!

2. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

A dying HD can for sure cause such problems...

Not sure what you mean with you received an email from Apple ?

Did you ask them for support, or is it more of a recall-message (like "we found out that some 2010 iMacs with HD xy suffer a high rate of failure") ?

When updating the RAM, better buy 8GB (for 12GB total) only minimal extra cost in these days and the upgrade surely made a difference on my 3.06GHz 2010 iMac....

3. simsaladimbamba

8 GB of RAM probably does not hurt, but startup times of the OS and applications are rarely affected by that, unless you start a closed applications shortly after it being closed.

Open Activity Monitor and go to the System Memory* tab and look for Page Outs and Swap used and report back.

You would probably benefit from an SSD to house the OS and your applications, though replacing the HDD with an SSD in an iMac is a bit tricky and cumbersome.
    You two options:

4. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Always add Ram, 4 not enough unless you are just checking email and internet. With 4 G Ram, on occasion, with not much open, I had very little available.

Check your ram usage occasionally to see what you are using. Some how the page out is related but I am not an expert in that area.

Ram is so cheap, 16G around $69-$80, and 8 for $35. Less than a night out with pizza

Just upgraded my cMBP to 16. Probably more than I needed, 8 would have probably been ok, but for an extra $40, why not.

5. franzmueller thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the answer ... it was a recall notification

Regarding the RAM ... will ask .... I thought 12 GB was an overkill ... I´m not a gamer or so

regards