21.5 or 24 iMac for movies and word processing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MtnDog, Feb 8, 2010.

1. MtnDog macrumors newbie

I have narrowed my purchase options to two iMacs; the 24" or the 21.5" iMac, the loaded versions (both having the 3.06ghz and 1tb). My use will consist mainly of writing a dissertation and watching movies for entertainment. Other uses will be storing and manipulating photos and maybe video/movie editing in the future. Which computer, i.e. display/screen choice would you go with, and why?

Thank you for your thoughts.

2. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

Go Big or Go Home. I think most people on here are going to tell you get the best that you could afford. I would like to have as big a screen as possible for watching movies. Thats what I think. Lloyd

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

4. MtnDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Well then, thanks for that profound insight . . .

Dimensions of the two screens are different, i.e. 16:9 versus 16:10. Is the 24" (bigger) diagonal necessarily better for watching movies? An Apple jock told me that on the 24", widescreen movies will not fill the screen. Is this your experience? Are most rental movies in widescreen format these days?

Thanks again.

5. jseyf5 macrumors member

jseyf5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I was in the same boat. Get the 21.5. Great computer! Better screen, newer design, and the new magic mouse. The new screens are absolutley beutiful. Get the 21.5

6. MtnDog thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty please with apple butter on top, any researcher/writers out there who have worked on both the 2009 24" and the 21.5" machines? Is the shorter height of the 21.5" an issue in this context?

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

For playing media and word processing a 3.06ghz processor is overkill.

However for editing movies and photos. Both Aperture and Final Cut are big times users or screen space and even a 30" screen would not be wasted.