21.5 or 27 for photo editing?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flunkyturtle, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Flunkyturtle macrumors 6502

We're building out our home office and i've now got a seperate desk just for Photo work.

I'm considering putting a dedicated iMac on the desk purely for editing and photo storage.

I don't need a new one, but i'd like a retina version.

My question is for any photo editers, do you find 21.5 is big enough?

Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What app will you be using and how much editing, i.e., a home hobby, or a professional photographer?

I've made no bones about stating my opinion about the both iMacs. I think overall you get the best value for your money with the 27" iMac.

Regardless of which machine you choose, get the 2TB fusion drive. The 1TB uses only a 24GB flash drive, the 2TB offers a 128GB flash drive so you'l be able to have more of your frequently used files on the flash storage instead of the slow 5400 rpm drive.

3. Promius macrumors newbie

I agree with Mike above. The 21inch iMac is just too gimped by Apple. For the money and specs, the 27inch is a better option.

4. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Home hobby, will definitely be getting to 2tb Fusion drive for that exact reason.

The 21.5 seems to only allow config up to 16gb RAM?

I won't be paying apple to configure it, i'll be buying it from Crucial and doing it myself but don't want to be limited to 16gb.

I think i'm tetering on 27 inch just to be on the safe side.

5. alexxk macrumors 6502

Get the 27 Inch... better deal, no doubt!!

However, I would get the pure 512SSD. Since this is a desktop I don't see a problem in adding external storage for your photos. USB 3.0 is good enough for that. You get 5TB for around $130.00

6. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

Good point tbh, i'd rather not faff about with external drives but i think no matter what i'm doing to be doing that anyway

7. Mikael H macrumors 6502

The 21.5" doesn't allow for RAM upgrades. What you order it with is what you'll have to live with for the rest of its lifetime. Another reason to go 27".

8. Flunkyturtle thread starter macrumors 6502

damn - they really are shafting us aren't they!

27 it is then!