21.5" SSD Question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Terrador, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Terrador macrumors regular

Obviously the 21.5" iMac has only one slot for a hard drive (don't count the optical bay). Say I wanted to replace my hard drive for an SSD in the future...do I need to connect the SSD via USB enclosure and install OS X on it first? Or do I need to do it once its installed inside the computer?

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

+1 - Good to test first before you go to the complicated task of halfway-disassembling your iMac to replace the drive. Note that if you do the USB way, you won't get the magnificent speeds that you're hoping for until you put the drive into the iMac because of the USB bottleneck :)

4. Terrador thread starter macrumors regular

Is it possible to use the migration assistant to copy my content/settings to the SSD via USB? I REALLY don't want to have to re-customize my settings all over again. If MA can't do that, is there another program that can?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MA can do that. Just boot from the SSD and the Setup Assistant will ask if you want to transfer any data from another Mac/install. Or if you want to copy everything, you could use CCC to clone your internal HD to the external.

6. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

CCC = Carbon Copy Cloner (click). Assuming you will have enough room on the new SSD to do a direct clone, you will be exactly where you left off after a clone.