21.5 vs. 27 iMac SSD Order

Discussion in 'iMac' started by libertyranger10, Jun 10, 2011.

1. libertyranger10 macrumors member

Hey,

Long time reader of macrumors and first time post.

Just noticed today that if you order a 21.5" iMac with the SSD option, the estimated shipping time is 2-4 days. However, if you want the 27" model with the SSD option, it's a 4-6 weeks estimated shipping time. Does anyone know why it's so much longer of a shipping date for the 27" model?

I really want the larger screen and the SSD option. But 6 weeks? It almost makes me want to go with the 21.5" model.

Lastly, do Apple Stores install third party SSD's? I have an apple store down the road from my house at the local mall. I figure maybe I could bring in a Vertex 3 and buy a 27" model there. Would they install my vertex 3 for a fee? Or is it Apple's policy to only install their own hardware.

Thanks for the help guys and gals :)

2. Michael D. macrumors member

No one knows for sure why it's taking so long. :apple: won't tell.
    There is a good deal of speculation here:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1148415

Some :apple: retailers might do it. I suggest you ask at the local store.

3. lunchfoot macrumors newbie

For the record, I placed my order for 21.5 w/ssd on sunday eve and it's due to arrive today from Newark, CA. So its quite speedy turn around for that model.
    Apple Stores (official ones) won't install 3rd party stuff, but yes some apple retailers probably would.

4. libertyranger10 thread starter macrumors member

Wow, that's pretty quick for the 21.5" order with the SSD. Let me know how the performance is on it. I sure hope they somehow get the 27" models updated soon so they estimated shipping time is the same as the 21.5" models. :D

5. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

A lot of speculation and from the sounds of it, folks ordering at launch are just starting to see their comps ship.

I happen to think it's due to the Z68 chipset that I believe is only in the 27" and does have impact on the SSD operation.

Whether the new Intel Z68 forced Lion, which forced the delay, idk. It's all speculation on my part.

6. Michael D. macrumors member

At least Macworld likes the 21.5" SSD iMac:

http://www.macworld.com/article/160311/2011/06/ssdimac2011.html?lsrc=top_2

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

8. iamthedudeman macrumors 65816

Well the difference in performance between the 3.4 27 and 2.8 i7 21.5 should be neg. Do you want screen size or save some cash. Me I opted to use my own monitor which was not such a good idea.

The Thunderbolt port is not very good for hooking up a external, yet. At least on my imac. I tried four different external monitors, all do not wake from sleep. I bought the 21.5 so I would not have to wait as long, not such a good idea. Took my imac to the Apple store as well as my external and my imac would not wake the external from sleep if it goes to sleep on it's own. If I manually put it to sleep it wakes, if not I am SOL.

They tried to hook my external to four different imacs all with thunderbolt ports, and the same problem. So it is not just my machine.

It seems there is a problem with how much voltage the thunderbolt port uses that effects the external monitors ports. Draws too much power. Apple engineers are working on a fix, but right now that doesn't help me much.

I was offered a 2010 i7 with SSD for 1799 and might have to take them up on their offer.

9. lunchfoot macrumors newbie

Alas, it has arrived, but I'm exhausted from working all day and have no time or energy to set it up tonight. Sunday will be computer day and I'll post my impressions:) (tomorrow is work too)