21,5 vs 27 late 2012 new imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by risk52, Dec 4, 2012.

1. risk52 macrumors newbie

Hi there! I'm going to buy my very first macintosh computer and it's going to be the new imac..
    I am going to use programs like final cut,premiere,after effects,photoshop,lightroom,illustrator maybe sony vegas etc...But I'm not sure about which imac i need.. my budget is 2.300 $ max!
    So guys give me an advice about which one is better between 21,5"/i7/16gb/fusion or 27"/i5(3,2ghz)/fusion..

(I use a 15" screen now and i think that the 27" is very big! also if I'll buy the 27" I will upgrade ram myself at 24gb for now and maybe later 32gb)

Thank you in advance!
    :apple:

2. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

well here's just a free opinion that's worth what I'm being paid for it...

:apple:27" iMac 2.9GHz Quad Core i5 Fusion 8GB (2x4) for $2,049
    upgrade the RAM with 2 X 8 GB from a third-party to get 24 GB for $60

This has the best features of the new iMac, the great screen (I currently use a variety of screens but 27 is my favourite!) (I have 9" all the way up to 55") it has the Fusion Drive, it has a quad core CPU that Turbo boosts to 3.6GHz with most current software - but has great performance when the multithreaded software comes in.

personally I avoid the hotter faster clocked CPU's, (the few percent of clock-speed won't be noticed in practise). 24GB should certainly be enough RAM for the next year or two (I have no swap file & no page-outs with extended usage of a 2012 Mac mini @10GB RAM) You could spend the rest of the budget on a nice USB3 'couple of terabyte' external backup disk?

3. risk52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your answer!
    I have already a usb 3.0 external hard drive 1 tb and the fusion drive is 1tb too so i think i am ok with space for now!..so you think the 27" is a better solution?
    16gb ram is not ok for the nexr years? i7 worths the money for the 21,5" ? it's not only the cpu but the graphic card..i'm making editting works and i think that i need a better graphic card..

4. comatose81 macrumors 6502a

Isn't physical size pretty much the only deciding factor between the 21.5" and the 27"? If the 27" fits where you are putting it, obviously that is the way to go.