21:9 aspect ratio??

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mobydick01, Jan 11, 2014.

1. mobydick01 macrumors member

I just got a new AOC Q2963pm to use with a current-gen Mac mini. This monitor is "ultra-widescreen," with a 21:9 aspect ratio. My wife does a lot of photo editing, so I thought it would be nice for her to have the extra screen real-estate.

Anyway, I've got the screen hooked up with an HDMI presently, but I can't adjust the aspect ratio any wider than 16:9. I am supposing this is a limitation with the HDMI and not the Mac Mini, right?

The display has a DisplayPort input, which is what I was going to try next.

So my question is whether I can get the 21:9 aspect ration to work if I use a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable connected to the Mac mini's Thunderbolt port? I don't have a cable, so I would need to order one in order to try this. Thanks.

2. COrocket macrumors 6502

The HDMI port on the mini is only good up to 1920x1200 resolution. I'm assuming the monitor you have is 2560x1080, so for that you would need to use a display port cable.

3. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

4. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

SwitchresX is great, but it won't help in this case, because it's a hardware limitation - the horizontal resolution is much wider than what HDMI in the Mini is physically able to transmit.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

The answer looks to be in reply #2 above.

The HDMI port can't support the resolution required by the ultrawide display.

You need to connect with DisplayPort instead.

6. mobydick01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to the six people who offered helpful insights and suggestions. I've ordered the Monoprice cable.