21:9 ultra wide monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LongSticks, Apr 1, 2013.

1. LongSticks macrumors 6502

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Per the documents, you would have to use a Mini Displayport to Dual-Link DVI converter in order to take advantage of the display (for split screen purposes anyway). Even a generic converter is about $70 US.

Actually what is most interesting to me is the dual link up which allows you to run two computers on one monitor at the same time. Granted, I have multiple monitors already for this purpose, but it's a pretty cool little feature.

3. LongSticks thread starter macrumors 6502

Hadn't picked up on that

Hadn't picked up on the double input!

Certainly has the screen acreage I'm after as well. I do scheduling using Primavera P6 and other software and the access to more time across the screen would be a boon as well.

Hate being the first one into new tech.......hopefully somebody has it or has seen it :p

4. bniu macrumors 6502a

pardon me, but may I ask what is so exciting about these monitors? Their resolution is 2560x1080.

The Apple TBD is 2560x1440. So what advantage does the "ultra wide" monitor offer over my "wide" TBD? I think it more deserves the name "ultra short" monitor.

5. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

OP. I found a link about this monitor recently and got me drooling. I would love to have this, however I would like some feedback from others who use this with their Apple laptops. I have a rMBP and want to know if this works well.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

7. a.coward macrumors regular

Resolution is only half the story. You also have to look at pixel density. The 29" ultra-wide 21:9 is actually almost 1.5 inches wider than the 30" 16:10. Yes, the difference isn't much, but it may matter to some. I personally see three types of people wanting this monitor:

• Gamers who want something a little wider.
    • Movie watchers to want minimal black borders when watching films in 2.35:1 theatrical formats.
    • People working with wide spreadsheets.

That, and it's about half the price. :-}

8. adonis3k macrumors 6502

Hi chap,

have you changed any settings on the monitor? i got mine today but its not perfect so need to adjust afew things. Watching youtube colours seem to be abit off but apart from that looks lovely :)

9. Drew888 macrumors 6502a

Drew888

What connection are you using? I am considering this one. I don't want the TBD until the next release.

Have you used the USB 3.0 ports on the monitor? Working well?

10. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Hi, I can't find it anywhere, but on the Philips and the LG there is an option to hook 2 computer on to the screen. It looks like the Dell is missing this feature, is there anyone who can confirm this?

11. LaazyEye macrumors regular

Have you tried the DisplayPort Out yet?

12. kant macrumors 6502

I'm seriously close to buying one of these. I've got a 27" iMac 2 and a half years ago. But I've disliked the damn thing almost from the start. Too big - even after making a pull-out keyboard tray I'm still to close. Too tall - I prefer the top of the monitor to be a couple of inches below eye level. The iMac is 3" above eye level.

I'm going back to the setup I used for the 10 or 12 years prior to buying the iMac. A MBP and an external monitor. Laptop is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow so I'm looking for the monitor and this 29" looks interesting. VLC, a browser, and Illustrator all up at the same time with plenty of width to spead them out.

If you've got the time and interest I'd love to read a review of it. One from a user, not a journalist.

13. kant, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

kant macrumors 6502

Nope. It's got it.

Here's the support page for it.

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/Product/dell-u2913wm

Direct link to the user guide in PDf.
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...t_Display/dell-u2913wm_User's Guide_en-us.pdf

And I'd love to know if the cMBP 2012 and ML can

14. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

Daamn that's a sexy screen.. Like the dual input idea, assuming it works properly. I think I'd be anxious over all the screen real estate.

15. fig macrumors 6502a

fig

You could also do something like dual 23" 1080p displays and get a lot more usable area for a lot less. 1080p on a display that big just seems like a lot of wasted space.

16. No-Me macrumors 6502a

Sweet! Totally missed your message, thanks! :)

17. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Ignoring cost the 21:9 form factor would work great as an office monitor for me. The extra 1/3 width would allow me to put outlook and several other programs "up" and running, and still have web browser and ssh sessions going.

I manage a lot of unix servers, and all of these open simultaneously on one monitor would be of value.

As it is, I use 2x Full HD 21.5" monitors and that does the job nicely at a lower price.

We have some of the dell 27" WQHD monitors on order and I think that might allow me to have a single monitor. I won't know until I have it though.

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

The reviews I have read online suggest the best of the bunch is the NEC MultiSync EA294WMi

Though certainly not the cheapest.

19. nthn0011 macrumors newbie

LG ultrawide monitor not displaying proper resolution on mac mini

Hi - not sure if anyone is having this problem, but I have a 2010 Mac Mini hooked up to an LG 29EA93 ultrawide monitor.

I initially hooked it up via HDMI and realized that, according to the specs, that HDMI only supports 1920 by 1200. The monitor's resolution is 2560 by 1080.

I then realized that the mini display port supports up to 2560 by 1600 resolution. So I purchased a Mini Display to DVI adapter and connected it to the monitor. I am still not getting the full 2560 by 1080 resolution, instead I am capped at 1920 by 1080.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Here are the models again.
    LG 29EA93
    http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29EA93-P-led-monitor

Mac Mini (Mid 2010) 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Thanks,
    Noel

20. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Make sure it is a dual link DVI not a single link.

That's probably the issue.

21. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

As already stated, you most likely bought the MDP to single DVI (unless you spent $60+). That maxes out at 1920x1200 just like the HDMI. The LG has a displayport. What you should have purchased was the cheap MDP to DP cable (should have cost about the same as an MDP to single DVI). Then you will have access to the full resolution....

22. Acorn, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

there was a guy on youtube that reviewed the 29 inch monitor and tested it with a bunch of games. out of 10 games or so it supported maybe half of them at native. also he stated that while gaming this extra space doesnt help much (the extra width is in your peripheral vision) so you cant see it to well.

these monitors suck to read on because they are so short. that coupled with the fact that not all games support the resolution (many are cropped) and the ones that do dont really offer any advantage. meh I will stick with a standard 30 inch. you can keep your inch and a half bonus width or whatever it is.

check youtube though there are quite a few reviews of them by real people not journalist

23. No-Me macrumors 6502a

I also had a hard time to get my dell to work properly, OSX recognised it as a TV so I had to manually add some display profiles. I'll check if I can get the information back.

I had to switch to a displayport cable and fix it in the software. the cable alone also showed it in a stretched 1920x1080

24. Blue Hour, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

Blue Hour macrumors newbie

LG's site says it's Mac compatible but I've read several reviews from Mac users having trouble with this monitor. Shame because I am interested in it myself.

25. nthn0011 macrumors newbie

Hey - thanks much. Yes I did get the MDP to single DVI thinking that would solve the issue. Can you confirm for sure that the dual link DVI would work?

Also, the one I found on Apple's site is about ($109 CDN) - http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB571Z/A/mini-displayport-to-dual-link-dvi-adapter

Is there a cheaper version?

Thanks again.