21" Cinema Display with HDMI?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 2Turbo, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

Any idea if the next Cinema Display update will include a 21" or 23" version?

Also, when in the world are they gonna put a HDMI/DVI input?

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would say the likelihood of either is slim at best.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Despite its popularity with Wintel manufacturers, HDMI is a television set protocol, not a computer protocol. DVI is a protocol of the past. Apple is now firmly set on mini DisplayPort and is transitioning to Thunderbolt. If you want to connect a HDMI or DVI source to your Apple display, then use an adapter. GM and Toyota are not returning to hand crank starters and Apple is not returning to HDMI and DVI.

4. theluggage macrumors 68030

(PS - do you mean 'Cinema Display' (Displayport) or 'Thunderbolt Display'? I don't imagine the Cinema Display will ever be updated).

Anybody's guess - however, thinking about it, the 27" displays have always been promoted primarily as a MacBook Pro accessory (hence the built-in magsafe). With the MBP line likely to shift entirely to retina (maybe not this spring, but in the not-too-distant future) maybe Apple will have a rethink.

If Apple were to go for an external 'Retina' display, they might drop to 21" rather than trying to find a 27" panel with enough pixels to justify the 'retina' tag.

They could also do with a smaller/cheaper TB display for Air users.

(All speculation, of course)

Next time the Winter Olympics are hosted in Hades, I guess. Even if the proverbial Apple TV set appears, I wouldn't bet on it having HDMI.

Meanwhile there are nice, relatively cheap, 24" 1920x1200 displays from third parties with DVI and/or HDMI. Just do a quick check if you're going to rely on using the Displayport input on a third-party display as some have problems with Thunderbolt Macs - although you can always fall back to a Mac-to-DVI or HDMI converter. I have a Dell U2412M (Displayport + DVI) that works fine over Displayport or DVI.

Personally, for anything smaller than 27" 1440p I prefer a 16:10 screen to a 16:9 ratio (i.e. 24" rather than 23") - space for 2 A4 pages @100% plus a top toolbar. Black bands when watching 16:9 video never killed anybody.