21 GB of "Other" when I updated

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by somers77, Oct 13, 2011.

1. somers77 macrumors newbie

I had about 25 GB of stuff (mostly music, some books, apps, videos) before I updated to iOS5. I downloaded and installed ios5 now i am unable to sync. It says i have about 22 GB under "other". Therefore i do not have enough space to sync. Any ideas on why this is happening and what could be 22 GB of Other?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

are you doing a fresh restore - meaning - not using a backup to get your stuff back?

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I faced this issue as well. I then "restored" and was ultimately asked to set up a new iPhone. Which I did. Then was able to restore from a backup.
    I had like 15GB of other in bright yellow, and was over my max.

4. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Same thing happened to me, but I didn't have enough "other" to max out the phone storage. As soon as it finished syncing, the "other" stuff shrunk down to next to nothing.

5. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

Setting up a "new" phone was the answer for me as well.

(you said it better than i did, sorry OP)

6. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

I'm having this issue as well but really didn't want to completely restore my phone. There has to be a better fix. It would also be nice if it told you WTH all that data was so the problem could be traced.

7. somers77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys that is very helpful. I did not try to restore yet. I will try that and load my stuff from a previous backup.

Thanks again for your help!

8. sananda macrumors 68020

I had this with both my iPad and iPhone. I didn't have enough space for "other". But it shrank away in the process.

9. Andeavor macrumors 6502

I had the same thing after rebooting into iOS5 the first time. I assume because I didn't have the backup setup on iCloud it was put on the phone itself additionally to the *reseved* space of my photos and music prior to the complete restore. After that it disappeared.