21" iMac or 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jony Mac, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Tonight my wife said if I give her my current MacBook to update her PowerBook G4 Ti I can get me a new machine. Debating on the 21" iMac or 13" MacBook Pro.

Between the 2 I'm not sure which to go with. I do have a Google Chrome laptop that I could use for everyday surfing if I want to get away from using a iMac tied to a desk. The iMac does have the larger screen which is nice.

However I do live my MacBook so having this portability is why I'm thinking MBP.

I'll probably buy from the refurb Apple store this time. Dies anyone have any suggestions for me? Any other places to buy a refurb other than the Apple store? Just trying to save a few bucks

2. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Well first off, you should really figure out what portability means to you. If it's a big deal, then your decision has been made.

If the larger screen is something you want WITH portability, have you considered getting a 2nd screen? Doesn't have to be too expensive depending on your needs. There are 20" screens for ~$100 if you don't need top of the line.

Another thing, are you considering to wait for the new iMacs coming out in a bit? Is hardware something you need to consider? Considering the 2011 MBP? Either way, I would say your options should be between the 2011 iMac and 2011 MBP, but we will have to wait a bit to see what the specs are for sure.

Refurb is a good thing. I also like http://www.macconnection.com/ because so sale tax and no shipping. Plus they have that free printer.

Hope this helps!

3. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Im probably getting something this month or next month. Yeah I was thinking I could always get a monitor if I went with the MBP.

WHat speed difference will I see between the iMac i3 at 3.06 ghz or the 2.4 C2D on the MBP(refurb model)? I'm thinking I won't see much between my 2.26 ghz and the MBP I mentioned. I haven't used or read much about the i3 chips.

4. kjmff5 macrumors regular

Well that depends. But really for day to day stuff(checking email, youtube, general web surfing) you won't see a difference with the i3 and C2D. I take that back, since the i3 is a 3.06 that should make you feel like its going faster. But even so, it will only shave off miliseconds. Sounds like you aren't doing much heavy CPU stuff?

5. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

Well, if you wait long enough, the Early 2011 MBPs might be available via the refurb store. Check Macmall, Adorama, Cost Central, and B&H photo as they might sell refurbished models. Oh, check Amazon and if you trust fellow man, e-bay.

If you plan to buy a monitor, then the 13" MBP is the logical choice, but the 15" is not illogical though. Hopefully, the Sandy Bridge iMac will ship during he next few months, which will decrease the price of the current iMacs. It sounds like you are on the fence, constantly debating which model to buy. Personally, I like the new MBPs, but I am bias. :D

6. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

See the thing is now I use my MacBook now mostly in my office using a I-curve stand, magic mouse, and apple wireless keyboard so it's kinda desktop ish. I dont really take it out of the house, so this is why I'm thinking iMac.

But you know how it goes you buy something and then later go, yeah I wish I had got the other thing.

Are there issues with the 21" i3 iMac? My friend has the 2008 24" iMac and I guess there is a known issue with upgrading it beyond 10.6.4. It causes crashes. My MacBook now runs cool, dies the iMac have any heat issues to worry about?

7. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Just came back from the Apple store to compare the two models. I think I'm leaning towards the iMac now. Now I just have to find a good deal. Maybe I can get a refurb model cheap.

8. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

What's not so great about the 21" iMac is that it will not let you use it as an external monitor, only the 27" lets you do that. I would incline towards a MBP and get one nice external monitor for the house that can be shared.

9. Darklandman macrumors newbie

It depends on your needs, if portability is a big deal to you then go with the MBP 13 but if you dont need it to be portable you can go with the imac with it's superior preformance and big full hd screen. Sounds like you can use your chrome laptop for coffee shop surfing anyway.

10. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The least expensive iMac (ignoring sales tax):

Buy from the Refurb store online using a Discover card. Buy a $99.95 printer as well at the same time. Then it is : $1019 for the iMac + 99.95 for the printer = $1118.95. Discover gives you 5% cash back = $55.94 and you get a $99.95 rebate on the printer making the total outlay $963.06. You can keep the printer if you want, or sell it locally as New In Box and pocket what you get as additional savings.

11. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Ugh I wish I knew about the printer deal. I just bought a laser printer 4 days ago.

I'm still leaning towards the iMac now. Anyone with the same model have any problems? Does this over heat easily?

12. opera57 macrumors 6502

Yeah if you mostly use your mac at your desk then the iMac would be the way to go - with the bigger screen they are much more comfortable to use than a MacBook for extended periods of time.
    If you were to go down the MBP route, you should definitely consider an external display. [​IMG]

13. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm still leaning towards the iMac now. Anyone with the same model have any problems? Does this over heat easily?

14. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Anyone? Anyone?.

"Bueller?... Bueller?... Bueller? "