21" iMac or Mac Mini with 27" Display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by webcity, Oct 24, 2013.

1. webcity macrumors member

I am currently thinking about setting up a small recording setup. I have plenty of experience with PA systems, but will just be learning the recording side, but I want to make sure I get the right kit.

Having Macs at work (and a MBP at home), I definitely want to base my setup around a Mac of some sort but I'm unsure which way to go.

I don't really have a budget in mind but bearing in mind I need to buy the whole setup, I've boiled my choices down to the following:

1. 21.5" 2.7GHz iMac
    2. 2.5GHz Mac Mini with 27" Display (probably a Dell Ultrasharp).

Both will end up costing about the same but I'm not sure whether the quad core in the iMac will prove useful over the dual core in the Mac Mini, plus the Mac Mini has a smaller drive, etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

2. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I would go iMac. An all-in-one in a studio provides less clutter.

3. jg321 macrumors 6502

This. I had an external monitor, keyboard and mouse for my MBP but decided I wanted a desktop. Almost bought a Mini, but instead got the iMac. Couldn't be more pleased with it, it's awesome!

Once you start speccing the Mini up it soon becomes expensive, as I see you've discovered. The iMac should be much quicker, as it has a desktop CPU etc.

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I thought about replacing my 2011 iMac with a Mini and 27" TB display. Because of the price of the TB display, that was more expensive than a new 27" iMac. And in the end you get more power from the iMac. Since I have a 13" Air, I had though it would be nice to use the Air as my primary machine and be able to connect either the Mini or Air to the display. The Mini would simply serve as my Apple TV iTunes server. However, truth is, I can still use the iMac as a 2ndary display for the Air in Target Display Mode, and when I am using my desktop, I get more power.