21" iMac refresh?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by laurenjeanbean, May 21, 2015.

  1. laurenjeanbean macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #1
    So, I'm in a pickle...

    I'm using my 15" MBP which I purchased in April 2010, and I think it's time for an upgrade. I'm thinking about getting a MacBook Air as well as a 21" iMac so that I have a more portable device as well as a bigger screen for home use.

    Is it worth waiting for the refresh? Do we know when it may even happen? Do you think I should get a different combination of devices? Just one?

    I know that's a lot of questions, but I always have to check on here before I make a purchase because I know all of you know/will think of more things that I do! :D Thanks so much.
     
  2. e93to macrumors 6502a

    e93to

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2015
    Location:
    Toronto
    #2
    If your MBP is still usable without big issues, then you should wait. Who knows? 21.5" Retina iMac might get released this year. If not, at least the updated iMacs should be optimized for the next OS update.

    The updates, if any, should happen in October.

    Depending on how you use your computer, the new 12" MB might also be a good choice. The performance is limiting and not up to par for the price, but it is very portable. However, this is a first gen device. So there could be unknown issues yet to be discovered.

    Or you can just buy a new iMac, and keep using your MBP. I also have MBP from that time period, and it still is an amazing machine.
     
  3. laurenjeanbean thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2010
    Location:
    California
    #3
    That's true, but I just can't justify the price of the 12" MB in addition to the iMac. It's a wonderful size/weight, but a base of $1299 is too much. I think I will wait since my MBP is still ok, though it is lagging. October should be doable though!
     
  4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #4
    You could stick an ssd in that 2010 and give it a new lease of life, it will also take 8gb RAM if you are still on 4GB.

    I would consider a BX100 from crucial as the best bang for your buck on a sata 2 interface as you have in that MBP.

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=bx100
     
  5. colodane macrumors 6502a

    colodane

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Location:
    Colorado
    #5
    If I were in your situation and really needed a laptop in addition to a larger screen for home use, I would get a new 15 inch MBP and a Dell P2415Q 4K display. The display is only about $400. This will give you a brilliant 24 inch monitor while at home for a total price that is much less than buying both a laptop and an iMac.
     
  6. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

    dagamer34

    Joined:
    May 1, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #6
    Yep, I would also recommend this option. Get the dedicated GPU though.
     
  7. Serban, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015

    Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #7
    You should wait for WWDC...probably 4K 21.5" will be release and buy an 12" MB or a 13/15" MBP
    i use 27" retina for home and 15" mbp
    trust me, you want to have retina for home use as well the new laptop you will buy
    i mean if you use your laptop for a while you will hate the current 21.5" 1080p, so wait for it
     

Share This Page