21 inch monitors

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Dr Charter, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Dr Charter macrumors 6502

I recently bought a 21 inch iMac (2012). I'd like a bit more screen real estate but have always preferred a two monitor setup to one giant monitor. In any case, I'd like to buy a 21 inch monitor that is as close as possible to the 21 inch iMac.

A 21 inch Thunderbolt display would be perfect, but I don't see that in Apple's plans. I don't really care that much about the aesthetics of the monitor but just want to get the same screen. Other than the 1920x1080 resolution and IPS, are there any other criteria I should consider?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

DisplayPort compatibility will eliminate the need for an adapter, but that's not a critical issue.

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Depends on what you want to use it for. Colour accurate work, gaming, video editing or just web browsing? The range of colours your monitor can reproduce is quite important as well as the resolution and IPS (in plane switching) that you mention. Be aware there are different types of IPS. Look out for P-IPS if it's within your budget.

5. Vincent V macrumors newbie

I have bought the 21" iMac this week and i'm also looking for a 2nd display. Currently i'm using an older Samsung 2443BW but it looks terrible compared to the 21" iMac. I have been looking at the Dell U2212HM on websites, i haven't been able to see it in action but i'm wondering if any of you out there have experience with the Dell U2212HM.

6. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The panel inside as good as the iMac screen, but people complained about the graininess of the anti-glare coating. So until they come up with a U2213 that improves on that (like they did with the larger models), I'd go with the S2240L.

7. Dr Charter thread starter macrumors 6502

Good points. As an English professor, I grade papers, write, do some XML encoding on digital projects, and work with images of medieval manuscripts. I would not say that color accuracy is crucial but I will certainly consider that in my purchase. I also wasn't aware of the different types of IPS, so I really appreciate the feedback.

8. Siderz macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for a good 21.5" monitor as well.

I'm going to use it for video editing and it needs to fit within a budget of £100 to £250. It also needs HDMI so that I can plug my PS3 into it.

I found this - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-22xi-full-hd-21-5-ips-led-monitor-21270364-pdt.html - (Hopefully the link works, it's the HP 22xi Full HD 21.5" IPS LED Monitor if it doesn't).

It appears to fit my criteria and even looks quite similar to the iMac, possibly even the same panel. Anyone know much about this monitor?

9. Vincent V macrumors newbie

I ordered the Dell S2240L yesterday, i will let you know how it is as soon as i'll have it. It will probably take a while since the Dell website said it would ship in 4-7 business days. Here in the Netherlands theres a 20% discount on the display if you order before April 3rd. For me thats a good reason to just buy it. :D

10. Siderz macrumors 6502a

That one looks amazing! Has HDMI! But no DVI? :confused:

Pretty sure DVI is supposed to be a better quality than VGA? Well damn! Anyone want to put some light on the subject of DVI vs VGA?

I wish Apple would just do a beautiful 21.5" Thunderbolt Cinema Display. I'm sure that'll make the iMac sell like hot cakes. We're never going to see such a thing though...ever...they clearly advertise the Cinema Display for use with MacBooks :(

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

HDMI=DVI+Audio, they are electrically compatible.
    [​IMG]

12. CalebLevArn macrumors member

Dell also offers the same exact monitor except it includes a DVI port instead of an HDMI.

Here is the DVI model#.

S2240M

13. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

The models with an M suffix are from 2011's lineup.

14. Vincent V macrumors newbie

Got my Dell S2240L today, I like it so far. It actually looks pretty similar to the iMac display, if you're looking for a glossy display to use with your Mac this is it. Now i just need a riser or stand to match the height.