21" or 27" iMac advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bokap, Apr 16, 2010.

1. bokap macrumors newbie

Current computer is dual Mirror Door G4 that I am fine with except noisy and a dog on Canon DPP.
    I want a new iMac, not sure if I want or need the 27 over the 21. Photography is my main use and use DPP and Photoshop now, plan on buying Aperture with new computer. Would the 21" duo work well for what I want. Would it be better to upgrade the ram to 8 gigs. Is the monitor so much better on the 27"? I don't care about watching movies on it. Would I get any benefit out of I5 or 17.
    I tend to hold on to my computers for a long time.
    Thanks
    Bob

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

How big a deal is money? The refurb 21" is $1000; the i5 is $1700.

3. JNickyJJ macrumors member

I think the 21.5 will be fine really [​IMG] but if you have the money, you might find the 27 nicer

4. MikeyJ57 macrumors member

I considered both and decided the 27" was just too large. I opted for a refurb 21.5" and I love it! You'd never know it wasn't a brand new machine, and since I came from a 5 year old Dell laptop that was starting to drive me crazy, this new iMac is a dream! Fast, slick, and everything I hoped for.

5. bokap thread starter macrumors newbie

Went to the Apple Store today and made up my mind. I decided since I keep my computers so long that I am going all out and I am buying 27" I7 with 8 gigs of ram Apple care and one to one, with Aperture.