Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travis Bickle

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 11, 2011
Hiya all,

I'm hoping to get myself an imac sometime soon but am not sure about getting the 27" model.

I'll be using it mainly for web browsing, photo editing with photoshop (or paint shop pro via windows) and the odd video edit using iMovie. So far no problem as i understand the higher spec 21" model should cope with all this ok.

My question is this. Going for the top end 21" model with the AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB will my performance in any games i may choose to play be similar as if i were to go for the 27" with the AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 1GB?

I'm assuming that the 27" has more pixels to shove around so even though it has 1Gb of ram rather than 512Mb on the 21" model the fact it has more work to do would negate any benefits of having the extra 512Mb on the 27"

I'm looking to upgrade the cpu but alas the GPU cannot be upgraded - pity as i'd consider doing that if it were possible.

• 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
  • 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
  • 1TB Serial ATA Drive
  • AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5
  • Magic Trackpad
  • Apple Wireless Keyboard

I know macs are not gaming rigs, but hope that i'll be able to play BF3 once it comes out (though have an xbox if it's a no go on the mac) this is my first time buying an apple product so am just trying to cover as many bases as possible.

cheers.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland

Lagmonster

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
The 6970 will more than overcome the increase in pixel-pushing. I am coming from a very capable gaming PC and the 27" with 1GB is good. It's not GREAT, but it's good. TF2 plays pretty well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.