Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is debuting "Apple Music for Artists," an analytics dashboard aimed specifically at musicians. The new feature, which was outlined by Billboard, is meant to provide artists and bands with insight into the listening and buying habits of their fans.

The dashboard home page offers up an artist's current number of plays, spins, song purchases, and album purchases, with built-in tools able to provide data dating back to June of 2015, which is when Apple Music first launched.

applemusicanalytics.jpg

An Insights panel available through the dashboard highlights milestones like all time number of plays, purchases of specific songs, and cumulative purchases, while a global map is designed to allow musicians to click on any of the 115 countries where Apple Music/iTunes is available to see purchase history.

Data for individual cities is included, such as top songs in each city, with further demographic breakdowns available, and another feature lists all of the Apple-curated playlists where an artist's songs appear.

Apple's aim with Apple Music for Artists is to provide more information to independent acts who might not otherwise have access to detailed analytics. Canadian R&B singer Daniel Caesar told Billboard that Apple's analytics dashboard gives smaller artists the tools they need to compete with bigger acts.
"As a truly independent artist with a small team, music analytics is something we can't do without. We don't have the luxury of deep major label market research to rely on to help us make important decisions like where to perform and how to advertise the things that we make. Apple's analytics tool helps to level the playing field for artists like myself."
A few thousand artists have been invited to join Apple Music for Artists as of today as part of a beta test, and later, the feature will be expanded to all artists that have content on the iTunes and Apple Music platforms.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Apple Music for Artists' Analytics Dashboard

Reactions: DeepIn2U

mistafro

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2003
I find it very odd that tons of artists promote their album on Spotify because of the free tier. I thought the free tier is what’s killing them?? I don’t get why they do this...

WordsmithMR

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2015
Murica
I don't see why this should be a features for artists, and not a feature openly available to the public to view. People love analytics! There is a whole Reddit community who make random graphs of analytics and stats for others to consume.

CrystalQuest76

Suspended
Dec 14, 2015
West Cost A Lot
The next step is going to be an app for artists that automatically generates the music for their new album based on their fans‘ listening habits.
Yes, i admit to watching the TV show "Scorpion." In it one of the characters mentions her backstory included being a pop music star in a south american country. She said that her song and presentation was a compilation derived from reviewing what was the most popular of a number of variables. Apparently they put the music video on YouTube.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Actually Tidal pays the most.
Ok I should’ve said...Apple pays the highest rate to artists out of the MAJOR PLAYERS in streaming. Tidal will be dead soon. The have maybe a million subscribers and now have about 6 months of cash left. Most have forgotten they exist.
[doublepost=1516651664][/doublepost]
Tidal?

===

What's the difference between a play and a spin?

Or maybe, more precisely, what is a spin? I'm guessing from context that maybe it has something to do with listening to multiple songs from an artist?
Tidal won’t be around after 2018.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I don't mind encouraging music growth - Steve never stopped talking about music and so is Tim Cook.
I am just sorry they killed the photography from Mac OS - a.k.a. Aperture.

I know - it wasn't a good market for them, they just did a good job with it.

As for the music - well - except the iPod - they haven't really revolutionized the industry at all.

thedeancoleman

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
Behind The Music
I'd be happy just being able to change my picture and bio - I control my artist yet can't change either of those. I was told discogs.com was their source and they created a profile 10 years ago and won't answer my emails to change it. Apple Music won't help either so this really isn't that impressive to me.

Apple is debuting "Apple Music for Artists," an analytics dashboard aimed specifically at musicians. The new feature, which was outlined by Billboard, is meant to provide artists and bands with insight into the listening and buying habits of their fans.

The dashboard home page offers up an artist's current number of plays, spins, song purchases, and album purchases, with built-in tools able to provide data dating back to June of 2015, which is when Apple Music first launched.

applemusicanalytics.jpg

An Insights panel available through the dashboard highlights milestones like all time number of plays, purchases of specific songs, and cumulative purchases, while a global map is designed to allow musicians to click on any of the 115 countries where Apple Music/iTunes is available to see purchase history.

Data for individual cities is included, such as top songs in each city, with further demographic breakdowns available, and another feature lists all of the Apple-curated playlists where an artist's songs appear.

Apple's aim with Apple Music for Artists is to provide more information to independent acts who might not otherwise have access to detailed analytics. Canadian R&B singer Daniel Caesar told Billboard that Apple's analytics dashboard gives smaller artists the tools they need to compete with bigger acts.A few thousand artists have been invited to join Apple Music for Artists as of today as part of a beta test, and later, the feature will be expanded to all artists that have content on the iTunes and Apple Music platforms.

Article Link: Apple Launches 'Apple Music for Artists' Analytics Dashboard

deanthedev

Suspended
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver
I find it very odd that tons of artists promote their album on Spotify because of the free tier. I thought the free tier is what’s killing them?? I don’t get why they do this...

The free tier isn’t killing artists - they still get paid. It’s killing Spotify because they’re paying out more to artists than what they generate in ad revenue from those free listeners.

Their current business model isn’t sustainable.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
As a truly independent artist with a small team, music analytics is something we can't do without. We don't have the luxury of deep major label market research to rely on to help us make important decisions like where to perform and how to advertise the things that we make. Apple's analytics tool helps to level the playing field for artists like myself.
If you can't beat 'em, destroy 'em. Besides, labels are an outdated concept. It's easier than ever to make music and spread it through social media. Best to cut out the middle man who is the real one getting rich.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Tidal?

===

What's the difference between a play and a spin?

Or maybe, more precisely, what is a spin? I'm guessing from context that maybe it has something to do with listening to multiple songs from an artist?
From a quick Google search it seems a spin is a play on a radio station. So it could be a differentiation between a listener directly playing a track (play), and it coming up in Apple Music's genre-based "radio stations" (spin.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.